Diesel Place banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 GEP turbo 6.5L I built a turbocharger with an extended billet compressor wheel.
I put a boost gauge on it and am rather disappointed with what I am seeing, but also a little confused at what I am seeing.
I am running around 7psi at 75mph and 2200 rpm, if I lift my foot and then get back into it it will jump to 10psi for just a second then drops back to 7 psi.
another thing is while accelerating the boost drops off as the rpm increases,,,is this normal?
I guess I will try to build an adjustable waste gate controller, the HMMWV just has a spring loaded waste gate as they do not have vacuum, but I have not seen an aftermarket manual controller for the GM-7 center mount.
That should not be too hard to build...
THANKS!!

·
Administrator
21,767 Posts
I have a 2007 GEP turbo 6.5L I built a turbocharger with an extended billet compressor wheel.
I put a boost gauge on it and am rather disappointed with what I am seeing, but also a little confused at what I am seeing.
I am running around 7psi at 75mph and 2200 rpm, if I lift my foot and then get back into it it will jump to 10psi for just a second then drops back to 7 psi.
another thing is while accelerating the boost drops off as the rpm increases,,,is this normal?
I guess I will try to build an adjustable waste gate controller, the HMMWV just has a spring loaded waste gate as they do not have vacuum, but I have not seen an aftermarket manual controller for the GM-7 center mount.
That should not be too hard to build...
THANKS!!
Normal...
Boost is not a constant. It is commanded by the ECM when needed.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Exhaust volume (RPM X boost) and EGT drives the turbine. Since you have an all mechanical setup, this could be waste gate opening by back pressure. As you didn't state engine speed, also consider the injection pump starts limiting fuel above 3400 RPM.

Measure EGT and exhaust back pressure. Plus engine tach.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
This may work
Center mount mechanical Turbo WG control for H1 & Hummer. From a site supporting vendor.
Also make sure your exhaust is not restricted as posted above. If your H1 has a catalytic convertor, it is most likely plugged.

Reactions: tull9643

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Never drive it over 3K, don't need to as I have a 6L80 transmission, I am going to try building manually adjusted waste gate controller, I saw a youtube vid, the guy was running the same setup and boost as I am until he installed a manually controlled (screw adjust) waste gate controller, seems the military did not have much use for boost.
BTW he was running 17 PSI (had the same aftermarket compressor wheel I have) I have no need for that much boost but his EGTs came down with the increased boost, he also turned up his pump 1/3 turn.
I asked KBD about a boost controller and they said it was too easy to mod a stock spring type controller which I have several of.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
I asked KBD about a boost controller and they said it was too easy to mod a stock spring type controller which I have several of.
Yeah 140 is a lot of coin to spend. Here is a thread to mod your stock mechanical waste gate control for next to nothing. It uses the side mount controller but yours should be similar

Reactions: tull9643

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah 140 is a lot of coin to spend. Here is a thread to mod your stock mechanical waste gate control for next to nothing. It uses the side mount controller but yours should be similar
Thanks!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts