Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
could a stock 6.5 with an auto outrun a stock 97 12 valve cummins with an auto? and which would win pulling loads?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
my guess would be the 12 valve w/auto have never driven a cummins but from what ive heard they would blow a 6.5 td away but i could be wrong theres a few cummins/6.5 td owers out there that will know for sure

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
In an unloaded race I would definately say the 6.5 would woop the 12V A$$, but towing 10K I would give it to the 12V hands down. The 12V cummins in 97 behind the auto was 180HP, and from personal experience in stock form are not impressive at all empty. I drove one with the 230HP RV pump in it with an auto and it would move, but he was taking out stock tranny's 1 a month.

·
Registered
524 Posts
One of my best friends has a 12V cummins in his dodge, and my 6.5 will spank that thing hard from 0-60 empty.

However, I would not want to challenge him in a pull-off up any serious grades with any substantial amount of weight, -he'd leave me for sure.

However, I love my 6.5, it suits me just fine.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
that's kinda funny that someone would ask that question. before i had bought any truck i test drove a 98 dodge dually 2wd and was thinking what a slug. i was a whole lot more impressed with the get up and go of a 98 gmc dually 4x4. i bought the gmc and then found out about this site and the td's issues. as all i tow is a 18ft. boat and 9 1/2 ft. camper i have no complaints. and i like the truck. would i buy a 12v or 24v dodge, probably not. i liken it to paying 5 grand for my kawasaki versus 7 grand the honda dealer wanted for literally the same 650cc bike. all in all you are paying more for the honda or cummins name than anything.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I don't own either. But, from listening to others I would say stock to stock would be comparable. With aftermarket parts the 6.5 is totally out classed. The new cummins are giving the Dmax's a run for their money nowadays.:eek:

·
Registered
346 Posts
I don't know much about racing but I will pass along my experience towing. I have a close friend that we travel with alot during the summer months pulling fifth wheel campers. The two campers are within 500 lbs. actual scale weight (7700). We run the interstates around New England all summer. Not racing just traveling. My 6.5 will run with his 12v cummins no problem. Granted mine is not stock. I pull any hill he can at the same speed and I do not beat my truck. Just my own experience for what it is worth. For a small diesel I think the 6.5 can hold it's own if treated properly.

Dan

·
Registered
224 Posts
My brother in law has a 97 12v cummins vs the truck in my sig. I can whip his butt empty any day, stock for stock before any mods unloaded. I can't anymore cause he turned it into a puller and has modded pretty good

·
Registered
189 Posts
I drive both daily (see sig below). The Chevy is stock and will run head to head with the Dodge with the fuel cranked up provided both are empty and on flat ground. Throw a load on the 6.5 and it will pull it well, but it knows that it has a load behind it and doesn't have near the punch. The Dodge hauls 6000-7000lbs of weight in the box daily and even with grossing over 15,000lbs, it still runs as fast and quick as empty. Both trucks get about the same fuel mileage. So my experiences are this.....running around town, the Chevy has the Dodge beat, but if you want to work them, go Dodge all the way. It doesn't know it has a load behind it. Oh yeah, the Dodge has over 600,000 on the clock and still runs like that. I doubt my 6.5 would last that many miles and still be that strong.

·
Super Moderator
6,014 Posts
The cummins is fairly weak behind an auto, put it behind a manual tranny though and they are quite the animal. If it wasn't for a buddy's stock 97 cummins beating my 18:1 6.5 handily pulling a 6% grade, I wouldn't have got bitten by the bug. Once you mod the cummins, it is out of a 6.5's league.:eek: I have towed 23,000 lbs gross with the same vehicle and both engines, and the cummins will pull its guts out in 5th gear, where the 6.5 was pulling it's guts out in 4th. The only noticable difference in milage is if the engines aren't pushed, driving with a light pedal and towing 23,000 gross, I have gotten 11 mpg with the cummins and about 9 with the 6.5, mostly because I could run a taller gear with the cummins. They both over heat on the long hard pulls, so much for how cool a cummins runs. My 6.5 was very fast unloaded, but my cummins is faster, enough that I beat the wife's chipped duramax with my old 85 burb(to be fair, she hit the speed limiter)):h ):h ):h I don't have one):h

·
Registered
408 Posts
My far from stock 6.5 can beat a stock 12 valve 0-60 and can almost keep up with it towing. The 6.5 gets hot, the Cummins runs 180. The Cummins is 100% stock and the 6.5 had a maxed out mechanical IP, big turbo, and intercooler.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Stock to stock the 6.5 and 12V are pretty close.

I have both and I use the CTD for the serious stuff.

My Highly modded 6.5 cannot outpull a 12V with the fuel plate slid forward and a $10 boost elbow.

However, the real winner here is the tranny.......I'll take a 4L80E over a 47RE anyday.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'll drive the Chevy any day over the Dodge if that's all I'm doing is driving around. The Chevy is much better riding and much more comfortable driving than the Dodge. The Dodge is more like hearding a semi around and the Chevy is like driving a small pickup. But if the Dodge had the same miles that my Chevy had on it, they might drive closer to the same. Front end is very tight on the Chevy and is very wore out on the Dodge. If I could drop that 12v down into my Chevy, I would probably never buy another truck cause I would have my perfect truck!):h

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I dont have either but from what Ive seen of dodge and chevy I would go with the chevy. I would really like a cummins or perkins diesel in the chevy. From what Ive seen of dodge the cummins is the only thing on it thats not junk. I seen a dodge a Lowes one night, prbably around a 1993 and the guy romped on it. Holy Censored was that loud, I wanted that thing so bad. It sounded cool and took off like a rocket, must have had a straight pipe on it. The truck was ugly as sin, all black with black rims and a gay looking pin stripe. It was 3/4 ton 4x4 and needed to loose the pinstripe.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I have a 2004.5 Dodge Cummins 600...325hp 600 torque. 0-50 my 6.5 will keep up slightly modded. Cummins pulls away 50-100mph. Hold on when that 48RE goes into Overdrive, it will snap your neck back...

No contest with a load..Lance Camper+tandem flatdeck trailer with VW baja, 2 moose, 3 motorcycles, misc hunting gear..Dodge came out of overdrive once on the Coquihalla hwy..

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
My business partners 97 12V will drive away from my DMAX

:funnypost

A. The 12V is highly modded? or
B. You need to change your dmax air filter. or
C. Your partners a better driver.

:joke: :lol:

·
Registered
962 Posts
I dont have much experience with 6.5's, but I rode in a buddies mom's 97 5 speed 6.5 once. I would say it ran close to as good as dads stock 98 12 valve 5 speed; but im pretty sure dads truck would outrun it. My uncle has a stock 97 automatic CTD, and its been a while since i have driven it, but it doesent run bad at all. Never ridden in an automatic 6.5. Overall id say the CTD is definatley the best pulling motor, but if you only pull pretty light and mainly drive city, then you may prefer the 6.5. The thing i like about the cummins is that they seem to run about the same even with 10k lbs behind them.

Pulling: CTD
Racing: Depends

Eric

·
Registered
584 Posts
Hmm Funny I just saw 2 Chevy's with Cummins in them

Yesterday I had an Aux fuel tank installed at Auto World here in Great Falls. They just completed a repower on a 1997 3500 Chevy with a 12V Cummins and NV4500, in the box sat the 6.5 & 4L80 as a unit. I have been keeping an eye on it for a guy out of Colorado. Nice set up, Cowl induction hood, first class install look like it came with the truck. Best part is he has good riding truck rather than a rough old Dodge.

The other is a 1988 1500 Suburban set on a Dodge One ton running gear.
It has a 2005 325hp Cummins in it. Again a first class fabrication. This place has been doing repowers since 1989 and they had had one in the shop since.
Here's a link if you want to check it out, look under Cummins Repower:

http://www.autoworldmt.com/

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Yesterday I had an Aux fuel tank installed at Auto World here in Great Falls. They just completed a repower on a 1997 3500 Chevy with a 12V Cummins and NV4500, in the box sat the 6.5 & 4L80 as a unit. I have been keeping an eye on it for a guy out of Colorado. Nice set up, Cowl induction hood, first class install look like it came with the truck. Best part is he has good riding truck rather than a rough old Dodge.

The other is a 1988 1500 Suburban set on a Dodge One ton running gear.
It has a 2005 325hp Cummins in it. Again a first class fabrication. This place has been doing repowers since 1989 and they had had one in the shop since.
Here's a link if you want to check it out, look under Cummins Repower:

http://www.autoworldmt.com/

I am kinda enjoying this thread. Cool link...thanks.

I would have to agree with whoever mentioned it earlier, but my dream truck would also be a CTD powered Chevy. I couldnt ask for a better truck. In fact, I have a CTD and a chevy adapter plate sitting in my shop just waiting for the perfect candidate for a repower. I need to find a later model cherry truck with a blown motor or something.....just daydreamin.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts