Diesel Place banner

6.5 turbo will not start when it warm with a mechanical injection pump

Question: 
2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Eskimomann209 
#1 ·
Hello everyone I am new here, I have a problem with a 1993 Chevy 6.5 turbo diesel. It does not have the p.m. d-box but it does have something bolted on the mechanical pump that plugs into top of the pump. It gets warm and it will not start I have to wait till it cools down enough for the glow plug light to come on in order to start it again. I bought a new mechanical pump that I have not put on my question is there anyone out there that can answer this is there anything else other than the mechanical pump on this 93 that could be making this thing do that? Any answers or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

#2 ·
Welcome to DieselPlace

Next time you have the warm no start condition, take a bottle of room temperature water with you and pour it on the Injection Pump and attempt to start.
If it immediately starts then you have the signs of a tired injection pump

Reactions: 56pan
#4 ·
My buddies did something similar and he begged me to do the GPR override mod for him using one of them Furd starter solenoids.
I performed the mod as requested and he reports positive feedback.
But IMO it’s masking the real issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.