Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
R.I.P. Sam
32,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I needed to order passenger side manifold bolts so I figured what the hell, I'll try to order the heat shield even though theres multiple threads saying its discontinued. One dealer even claiming he got the last one for one of our members.

It showed up no problem, for less than it was listed online. And you can't claim it was some Canadian stock pile, it came up from the USA..

Attachments

·
respect the DB4 5722....
12,490 Posts
I needed to order passenger side manifold bolts so I figured what the hell, I'll try to order the heat shield even though theres multiple threads saying its discontinued. One dealer even claiming he got the last one for one of our members.

It showed up no problem, for less than it was listed online. And you can't claim it was some Canadian stock pile, it came up from the USA..
you should buy that ats turbo in the classifieds for $1600 and give it a whirl...):h

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,184 Posts

Nice heat shield.Mine was in pretty good shape so I painted it and reused it.The bolts are not cheap from GM.I bought some metric bolts from a industrial parts store in my area and I bought all the metric bolts for both sides at just $15.They have a larger hex head than the GM bolts do,but thats the only difference.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
i need one of those! if you dont mind me asking, how much did you pay for it?

I see generic ones on amazon and other places, but dont know if they will work.

·
R.I.P. Sam
32,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i need one of those! if you dont mind me asking, how much did you pay for it?
it was $45 at the dealer, listed at around $78 with online GM parts discounters, plus shipping. the bracket was $23 and we arn't goint to talk about the bolts :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
ouch. anyone know if turbo blankets are any good?

·
Registered
9,976 Posts
Nice heat shield.Mine was in pretty good shape so I painted it and reused it.The bolts are not cheap from GM.I bought some metric bolts from a industrial parts store in my area and I bought all the metric bolts for both sides at just $15.They have a larger hex head than the GM bolts do,but thats the only difference.
Not true, the threads on OE bolts aren't as deep as regular threads on some area's so they act as lockers.

ouch. anyone know if turbo blankets are any good?
They are a great idea, and work well.

·
Forum Troll
5,969 Posts
They are not the same. The exhaust manifold bolts are hardended and have a tapered shank. I would not use anything bu the factory bolts. it's no fun drilling out heads...
IIRC I paid about 85$ for all 16 bolts and it took them a few tries to get the right ones.

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,184 Posts
Not true, the threads on OE bolts aren't as deep as regular threads on some area's so they act as lockers.

They are a great idea, and work well.
Nothing wrong with the bolts I chose to use.It's not my first time using them on the 6.2 or 6.5 so I know they work properly.If someone wants to dump their wallet wide open on the parts counter for GM bolts,they can certainly go right ahead but it would not be my choice.

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,184 Posts
They are not the same. The exhaust manifold bolts are hardended and have a tapered shank. I would not use anything bu the factory bolts. it's no fun drilling out heads...
IIRC I paid about 85$ for all 16 bolts and it took them a few tries to get the right ones.
Everyone has an opinion,but I know what works for me.I have'nt had any problems with the bolts i'm using.I've used them many times before as posted in my last thread.I never had anyone come back to complain.

·
Forum Troll
5,969 Posts
That sucks Diaric.
I would have given you a shield. Of course shipping to Canada probably would have been more than you paid for it new...

·
R.I.P. Sam
32,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no problem kenny, its the thought that counts.
you still got my address? I got my upper plenum from years ago lol

·
R.I.P. Sam
32,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
damn good thing i tackled this. goto undo injector lines to swap bracket, one line wants to twist, injector is loose:banghead: Don't know how, they were torqued and the damn thing was wobbling in there. Explains the miss i heard last time i fired it up

·
Registered
9,976 Posts
Everyone has an opinion,but I know what works for me.I have'nt had any problems with the bolts i'm using.I've used them many times before as posted in my last thread.I never had anyone come back to complain.
That maybe true BUT they are not the same as regular bolts. We are simply correcting your statement.

Reactions: cruisecontrol1

·
Registered
9,976 Posts
damn good thing i tackled this. goto undo injector lines to swap bracket, one line wants to twist, injector is loose:banghead: Don't know how, they were torqued and the damn thing was wobbling in there. Explains the miss i heard last time i fired it up
Good catch, :eek: :cool:

·
R.I.P. Sam
32,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Gonna post all the part numbers as the GM dealer computer isn't good at bolts. They'll have you buy some wrong ones and not enough of the right ones.

• Long bolt/stud 10137539 quan 5
  • med bolt 14028922 quan 3
  • turbo shield 10191478
  • shield bracket 10149651 (same as 6.2 bracket with 2 extra tabs)
  • glow plug shields 10183999 quan 2 (not a nessesity)
all the bolts can be undone and the manifold will clear the frame for removal with the bolts in, but to install jacking the engine looks the best way.

·
Forum Troll
5,969 Posts
Gonna post all the part numbers as the GM dealer computer isn't good at bolts. They'll have you buy some wrong ones and not enough of the right ones.

• Long bolt/stud 10137539 quan 5
  • med bolt 14028922 quan 3
  • turbo shield 10191478
  • shield bracket 10149651 (same as 6.2 bracket with 2 extra tabs)
  • glow plug shields 10183999 quan 2 (not a nessesity)
all the bolts can be undone and the manifold will clear the frame for removal with the bolts in, but to install jacking the engine looks the best way.
I got mine in without jacking the motor. Figure alot of swearing but the trick is to put all the bolts except the very front one in the manifold first and then use little zip ties to hold them from falling out while fiddle f...ing with it. Make sure you postion you zip ie so that the bolt can move far enough back to be flush with the manifold .It's tighter than a Bull's azz durin fly season in there I tell ya, but it can be done.

·
R.I.P. Sam
32,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ya, i know it should be possible, I usually use masking tape to hold things like that. I'm gonna give it a shot without lifting the engine. the hard part will be getting the threads to start with no finger room and a heavy manifold

·
Forum Troll
5,969 Posts
I have faith...I have tendonitis and carpel tunnel and I did it. You can do it.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
If I had to do it again, I wouldnt hesitate to throw a jack under the oil pan and give myself a little more clearance. Ends up saving much more time and frustration, imho.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts