Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My buddy has a 97 GMC Crew Cab 6.5 Turbo Diesel with over 200,000 KM. It's been well taken care of and he is the second owner.
There were some (expensive) problems with the FSD, but it now has a cooler and seems fine.
The problem is that it just quits with no warning. Cold or warm doesn't matter. If left to sit a few hours, it will start up fine as if nothing happened. He bought a code reader and it shows no codes. Several shops have looked at it and have come up blank.
This has cost him an out of town job because he can't trust this heap to get him to work, all his money is sunk into it and he won't sell a lemon even to a stranger.

Although he doesn't agree, my thinking is water in the fuel. Is there a fuel/water separator on these trucks? Can it be drained? Will it cause this?

Any pointers would be appreciated
Pat in Calgary

·
Registered
345 Posts
Bleeder valve is on the front of the engine. You can open the valve while cranking it to see if fuel is coming out. The hose outlet for the bleeder is on the bottom of the engine so diesel will come out there.

Sounds like a lift pump or OPS issue to me. Check the FAQ section on how to check for this problem.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yes while the engine is running open up the pet**** near the thermostat housing, like irelandd said if you open that valve and engine stumbles or dies, chances are it's the lift pump, which is inline and is mounted on the framerail under the drivers seat, Or also the OPS. Also do us a favor and in your signature line give us some details about the truck in question. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Sounds like a PMD, problem, or ignition/ground
Go thru the diagnostic check list, as it could be anything, but at least some things can be eliminated by following the list

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks alot.
The FAQ section is GREAT!!
Thanks for pointing me there. I'll figure my way around before long.
Sounds like it could be the FSD...again...#4 @ $1000 a pop :eek:

Glad it's not mine. We will do all of these diagnostics over the weekend and see what turns up.

Thanks a bunch for the help!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
17,906 Posts
I know it is on heatsink, but are you putting it outside the engine? or is it on the manifold or anywhere inside the engine? If it is inside, you may want to relocate it outside. Check a lot of threads on this subject.

·
Registered
740 Posts
If it is the PMD / FSD I would contact heath diesel for a new one. Heath will give you a 7 year free replacement part warranty, and it's alot less than $1000. After I replaced my IP a few years ago I went with one mounted to the side of the intake, about a year or so later I got to buy another agian... But this time I got Heaths unit and love it so far. The way I look at it is I'll never have to buy 1 for 7 years, maybe replace 1 for FREE but not buy one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts