Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1994 gmc c3500hd 6.5 turbo diesel. someone told me to just wire the waste gate shut. And that will bypass the egr. Also will only put out like 15 psi.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Wiring the waste gate shut is not a good idea. Will cause over boost and defueling, among other problems. The computer wont like it. Stock computer will start defueling at 8-10 lbs boost. 15 psi is too high without a tune.
What problem are you having to want to wire it shut? The waste gate has nothing to do with EGR.

Reactions: OkDually and 56pan

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
17,826 Posts
Who is that "someone"? what is his/her credibility.

Read the FAQ here and you will become a more knowledgeable "someone" that can advice people better.

The only way to bypass EGR is to put a rigid cover so it is rendered useless.

Reactions: 56pan

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's why I was asking. He owns 2 6.5 diesels he told me. He did it to both of his trucks. I dont know the guy personally. I met him at a gas station. When he pulled up next to me. And thats what he was telling me to do to mine for more boost. But I dont want to blow anything up. And the truck I own is a tow truck. I wanna make this thing last. This truck is all stock. I believe. The only thing I see different is the vacuum line going to the wast gate to the pump. There is no vacuum solenoid..

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wouldn't it mind more boost. Lol but no I'm just going to leave it alone. Unless i want to tune it. Or something down the road. Now I do see a little bit of smoke like steam coming through the valve cover. I'm not sure if that's normal.

·
Administrator
16,283 Posts
That's why I was asking. He owns 2 6.5 diesels he told me. He did it to both of his trucks. I dont know the guy personally. I met him at a gas station. When he pulled up next to me. And thats what he was telling me to do to mine for more boost. But I dont want to blow anything up. And the truck I own is a tow truck. I wanna make this thing last. This truck is all stock. I believe. The only thing I see different is the vacuum line going to the wast gate to the pump. There is no vacuum solenoid..
The EGR equipped motor should have 3 solenoids ( 1 for Turbo wastegate and the other two deal with the EGR) and look like this:

Reactions: Tr00b

·
Administrator
16,283 Posts
I wouldn't it mind more boost. Lol but no I'm just going to leave it alone. Unless i want to tune it. Or something down the road. Now I do see a little bit of smoke like steam coming through the valve cover. I'm not sure if that's normal.
Do you have the CDR connected in the original factory condition or is it altered to vent to the ground?
If you have it altered you are going to have issues with blown crankcase seals. The CDR needs to be in factory condition because it uses the negative turbo vacuum to help keep the seals intact.

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
3500HD does not have a egr... If the vacuum line is going direct to the wastegate it's the same as wiring it shut, not a good thing.

·
Registered
1994 K2500 Suburban 6.5 turbo.
15 Posts
I would be surprised if a 94 3500 would have an EGR, never seen one with it. I was intermittently losing boost so a new solenoid fixed that $53 bucks at the dealer.

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,754 Posts
Put a boost gauge on it, if you haven't already.
Every turbo Diesel should have one regardless of make.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts