Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys- back with some more issues.

After fixing my PMD & injection pump issues I've been facing some weird erratic problems...

I have just replaced the trans lines as I had a leak & was facing issues of oil pressure loss and dying when I would stop at a light... Now with lines replaced I have a new issue...

Here's whats going on:
the bus will start and idle funky and sputter and die.
OR the bus will start and then once I put it in gear it will sputter and die
OR the bus will start and move and then die.

I got it going today & took it for a drive. After a couple miles it started acting erratic. The trans also took a little to engage from the get-go... It really struggled going up a hill and it would literally heave back and forth a couple feet at a time- very erratic.. then it coasted and died on the side of the road... Took a few tries but restarted.. The trans seemed to have gone out the window... I restarted again and the trans engaged but acted erratic going up hill... once at the top of the hill it equalized and seemed better.. This is why I think the fluid levels are jacked up...

I pulled into Oreilly and checked my fluid levels... Initially it was bone dry .. so I added fluid.. perhaps too much.. then the bus would start and idle for a couple seconds and then choke and die... I checked the trans dipstick and there was too much oil now... So I drained some out.. I noticed that draining the trans oil would help it idle longer.. So I figure I'm onto something there... I also noticed that when I would open up the dipstick while idling, the bus would die. Perhaps a vacuum leak or fluid levels not ideal. I know it must sound stupid to just check the dipstick and make sure- but it doesn't seem to be as simple as that. It seems like I have the proper amount of fluid now- yet it still acts erratic...

Any help or advice is so much appreciated! I'm afraid I didn't have the proper amount of fluid when I finished replacing the lines and potentially caused internal damage to the trans.. Im hoping the torque converter or bearings aren't damaged... I was hearing a sound like bearing spinning when I turned the bus off or put in reverse... and that noise has gone away now.. confused..

·
Administrator
18,093 Posts
Checked for any codes?
Do you still have a clear line on the return side of the IP to help locate any air in fuel? If so, condition of the clear line?
Gone through all grounds?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No codes. no check engine. the PMD and IP are working fine. I think its oil pressure/trans related..
Specifically been doing this since I changed the trans. lines the other day. Could it be my fluid levels are just off? Vacuum leak? hmm

·
Administrator
18,093 Posts
Condition of the oil ok? Checked for any contamination from other fluid?
Same for trans fluid checked ok, Color? smell or look burnt or darker than usual

Reactions: KyleH

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Condition of the oil ok? Checked for any contamination from other fluid?
Same for trans fluid checked ok, Color? smell or look burnt or darker than usual
Condition of the oil seems ok.. I put new fluid and noticed it got a little brown after getting home... but I don't think its contaminated. No water/coolant in the trans or oil ...

she starts up fine now.. when I change gears the oil pressure seems to go up and down... I feel like its pressure related with oil and trans oil... just not sure exactly how to verify..

It would seem very obvious to check the dipstick...but seems illusive... Just now, I drained some trans fluid as I think I have too much..it was over the cross hatched... then I drained some & it was dry again... too low... so I added a tiny bit... maybe 25ml... and then it is way too much again... I feel stupid. Cant comprehend the problem.. need to spend more time experimenting I guess...

I notice when I shut the vehicle off, I hear some noise from the trans like a whirl of bearing casing or something... ugh

·
Administrator
18,093 Posts
To properly check the trans fluid, the engine must be up to operating temp and your vehicle on flat level ground. With the engine at idle check your trans fluid.
Try disconnecting the Coolant temp sensor on top of the motor and see if you notice a difference with the engine

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To properly check the trans fluid, the engine must be up to operating temp and your vehicle on flat level ground. With the engine at idle check your trans fluid.
Try disconnecting the Coolant temp sensor on top of the motor and see if you notice a difference with the engine

Will do. thank you so much for the advice. I will check tomorrow and report back with results.. I'm bummed because she was just running fine.. no slippage issues or lack of trans engagement. It is sparse but it did it a couple times.. enough for me to notice & be concerned. The noise when turning off concerns me. Praying for the best and easiest fix 🙏🏽

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok heres my update::

Went out to look at the bus this morning. Checked the trans fluid levels with bus cold and idling. The level was right where it needed to be in cold. She started up nice and sounded good. When I tried to take off it seemed to be a little sluggish for pressure to build and catch the gear. The gear did catch right away, just slower pulling away then usual.

Took off out of my neighborhood fine. Drove it 2 miles down the road and turned around. When I turned around it lost power and died; coasted to a stop. Struggled to restart. Eventually restarted. Went to the stop light- died again.. made it to the next stop light- died again.... Then I made it back into my neighborhood and it died when I was going down hill to my street. This is why I think the fluid levels are jacked up because when its inclined it changes the pressure. Perhaps its my oil pump?? Struggled many times to get it up the street back to my house... When I got to my house I checked the trans fluid and it was LOW but not dry.... Then I added some trans fluid (small amount) & now the dipstick seems flooded. This stumps me because I feel I can't get an accurate reading.... Started the bus again and it sounded like it started better... So I think it is related to the fluid amount... But I honestly am just shooting in the dark... What would the symptoms be of too little or too much trans fluid... and is this related to my regular oil levels too?

Last month I had similar dying issues... but now it seems like when it dies it will lose trans function when I restart... and then the pressure builds and I get it back... so confused

·
Administrator
18,093 Posts
Ok heres my update::

Went out to look at the bus this morning. Checked the trans fluid levels with bus cold and idling. The level was right where it needed to be in cold. She started up nice and sounded good. When I tried to take off it seemed to be a little sluggish for pressure to build and catch the gear. The gear did catch right away, just slower pulling away then usual.

Took off out of my neighborhood fine. Drove it 2 miles down the road and turned around. When I turned around it lost power and died; coasted to a stop. Struggled to restart. Eventually restarted. Went to the stop light- died again.. made it to the next stop light- died again.... Then I made it back into my neighborhood and it died when I was going down hill to my street. This is why I think the fluid levels are jacked up because when its inclined it changes the pressure. Perhaps its my oil pump?? Struggled many times to get it up the street back to my house... When I got to my house I checked the trans fluid and it was LOW but not dry.... Then I added some trans fluid (small amount) & now the dipstick seems flooded. This stumps me because I feel I can't get an accurate reading.... Started the bus again and it sounded like it started better... So I think it is related to the fluid amount... But I honestly am just shooting in the dark... What would the symptoms be of too little or too much trans fluid... and is this related to my regular oil levels too?

Last month I had similar dying issues... but now it seems like when it dies it will lose trans function when I restart... and then the pressure builds and I get it back... so confused
How much fuel is in the tank? do you have dual tanks?
Sounds like when you made the turn, the fuel line picked up air instead of fuel like you have a fuel delivery issue.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How much fuel is in the tank? do you have dual tanks?
Sounds like when you made the turn, the fuel line picked up air instead of fuel like you have a fuel delivery issue.

Half fuel in the tank. Not duel tank. Maybe its the new PMD acting up? I don't understand why I would lose trans power tho. And all of this came up or fully manifested after changing the trans cooler lines... So I think its oil and not fuel related... I'm probably going to have a mobile mechanic come give me another perspective. Stumped. Just tried to move it right now and it started and then died. and then won't start. Similar to when my PMD went out.. So for sure a possibility...

·
Administrator
18,093 Posts
My guess is the pickup tube on top of the sending unit is rusted with some holes allowing air to enter or you have a fuel line leak allowing air to enter between the tank and fuel filter.
Changing out the trans lines happens to be a coincidence or another separate issue going on with the trans..

·
Administrator
18,093 Posts
And this is also based on your fuel gauge being accurate. If not,you may be less than half and you are picking up air within the tank

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And this is also based on your fuel gauge being accurate. If not,you may be less than half and you are picking up air within the tank

Sending unit meaning the LP inside the tank?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ill have to check the fuel delivery system. I should install a clear tube near IP and see if I'm getting bubbles... just intuitively doesn't seem to be my issue. Especially after replacing the PMD and IP.. Or maybe it has been dealing with a. leak or air draw the whole time.. Hmm .. trying not to be stressed and carefully assess

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Transmission fluid level will not cause the engine to die, or anything else.
There is probably a wiring issue. Anything that moves the engine around is causing it to die.
Stopping, turning around, going down hill....
Some of these rigs have the harness/PCM grounds on the same pass. side head stud that the trans dip stick bolts to.
Have you made sure the grounds at the rear of the pass. side head are good?
Clear tube on the IP return would also be a good idea.

Reactions: OkDually and KyleH

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Could it be that my new PMD is faulty and getting heat soaked?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Transmission fluid level will not cause the engine to die, or anything else.
There is probably a wiring issue. Anything that moves the engine around is causing it to die.
Stopping, turning around, going down hill....
Some of these rigs have the harness/PCM grounds on the same pass. side head stud that the trans dip stick bolts to.
Have you made sure the grounds at the rear of the pass. side head are good?
Clear tube on the IP return would also be a good idea.

I will recheck electrical and all grounds.. I did do some rigorous pulling getting those long trans lines out. So perhaps messed a connection up. Thank you for that!

I am curious however about the trans oil levels. Because I pulled into oreilly and it died. It wouldn't restart. I added trans oil and then it started idled and then died. but seemed like I added too much. So I drained some out.. and noticed that it would idle longer. But maybe because it was cooling down? Could it be the PMD ? The new PMD is attached to the new IP still. I have not had the chance to relocate it yet.

·
Administrator
18,093 Posts
No LP in the tank. The LP should be on the frame rail, passenger side ( vans) IIRC..
The sending unit contains the fuel gauge mechanism and fuel pickup and return fuel tube

·
Administrator
18,093 Posts

·
Administrator
18,093 Posts
I will recheck electrical and all grounds.. I did do some rigorous pulling getting those long trans lines out. So perhaps messed a connection up. Thank you for that!

I am curious however about the trans oil levels. Because I pulled into oreilly and it died. It wouldn't restart. I added trans oil and then it started idled and then died. but seemed like I added too much. So I drained some out.. and noticed that it would idle longer. But maybe because it was cooling down? Could it be the PMD ? The new PMD is attached to the new IP still. I have not had the chance to relocate it yet.
Like Glagulator mentioned the trans has nothing to do with the engine stalling issue. Stop messing with the trans for the moment and concentrate on the engine issue first.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts