Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how involved is doing a swap from a 6.5 to a duramax? i know at leat i will need a max harness and computer, wondering about mounts and tranny? i ccan get brand new duramax engines complete with turbos from a buddy at a GREAT PRICE, he has 14 of these still in the crate any help/info would be great

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
That would be totally bad A$$ :eek: . Good luck to ya:D .

Jacob

·
Registered
376 Posts
i would personally use your 4l80 e with a stand alone controller then get a computer from a duramax with a standard transmission. I think it would make things alot easier........

·
Banned
2,194 Posts
4l80 would work at stock HP levels but if you were gunna put a duramax in one of the best looking body styles ever wouldnt you want that duramax to have gobs of power? 4l80 could never handle serious duramax power. there would be alot involved. hopefully you do the Duramax allison conversion as there arent a whole lot out there. but there is alot of talk about it. theres a few threads about it on here. noone that i know of has done it yet on this website into a 88-98. one guy has a complete duramax that was in a fire but i dont know what became of that he intended to swap it into a suburban. theres a manual floating around on the web somewhere good luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the info, i was told that the allison tranny would hit the trans tunnel??? somthing about needing a body lift to make clearance?? this is the kinda thing im trying to check before i do it, im not gonna do anything to the max leave it stock, would like to use my tranny if i could and maybe have it built if possable????

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
when you say use my 4l80 e with a stand alone controller , what is the stand alone controller? any any clue on where to find suck manual about doing the swap? so im guessing the 4l80 will bolt up to the duramax?

·
Registered
472 Posts
I would think the biggest challenge is getting the gauges to work.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the trany tunnel, raising the tunnel area would be simple compared to the rest.

·
Registered
50 Posts
heres a link to a thread I started on the same subject.
http://dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124380
I decided not to do the swap because of the cost and fixed my 6.5 instead. Plus I havent found a suitable donor vehicle yet.
You can go with manual tranny and not worry about the body lift, I think. I think I would steer clear of the 4l80e tranny. You will need to find someone to program the ECM to ignore some of the other control modules you wont need on your truck.. If you have a 95 or later model truck, you can exhange the entire dash and body control modules with minor modifications. You can exchange the entire dash and body control modules in older trucks, but it requires major farbrication. There is a manual available to aid in the conversion.

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
17,907 Posts
I saw the manual today from the********** to convert. They did it before.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well, i pulled out my 6.5 tonight in preps for the duramax install, im going to raise the tranny tunnel,im going to buy the allison trans,and complete wire harness from a duramax truck, as far as the gauges, one wire at a time with detailed wiring diagram, i figure i bought the new complete crate motor for 1000.00 (duramax),so i figure another 4000 or so should get it done,as far as the wiring it will be a challange for sure, but i think it will be worth it in the long run,and have the best of both worlds much cheaper than 40k for a new truck,

·
Banned
2,194 Posts
post some pics along the way. what are some details of the body style for truck its going in? good luck with this it is a major untertaking hopefully you go through with it.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Which motor are we talkin about? LB7, LLY or LBZ? $1000, I'll take one!

·
Registered
376 Posts
a 4l80 can take over 1000 hp if done properly, it also shares many components with that so called "allison"............

·
Registered
963 Posts
I am the one with the burnt down dmax and a 1995 suburban. I was going to do the conversion into the 95 but have since bought a 2001 Yukon XL 2500 and will be using that for the conversion. I am ambitous but into a 1995 was goint to be a nightmare. Into the 2001 will be a breeze in comparison. I wish the best of luck to anyone who is willing to try and would be glad to pass on any info I have gathered. I keep hearing wispers about a standalone wire harness for the dmax. If you could find one of those the rest would not be too bad, and I think it would be a killer sleeper. Best of luck!

·
Banned
2,194 Posts
hey boise there is a guy in the mid-west he is a farmer and screws around on trucks in the winter who was swapping duramaxes into suburbans and avalanches he was in a article in 4 wheeler i think it was. I dont know i lost the issue maybe someone else knows or you could maybe search somehow on the internet. but he would prolly be a great resource he would have quite a bit of experience make your job tons easier

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hey boisebiker,any tips or info you may have would be a great help, would like to talk to you to find out what you may have found out,,, the motor is a 2006 model,long story short gm gave my buddys shop 15 dmax engines (shiped by rail) to have the shop build shelfs for for some gm plant,after they got the work done gm said they dident need the motors back!!!!!! no wonder new trucks cost so damn much, i have to wait until monday to get a truck to load the heavy beast into, i will post pics and casting numbers

·
Registered
963 Posts
My 2002 cost me a pretty penny but I think I am still way ahead of the game over trying to find all of the peices. As the truck sits right now I can put the key in start it and drive it around, I just need a bucket and goggles. But I would be tempted if I had a 2006 to start with for only a 1000 bones. I will be watching this thread and will help out as I can.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
:crazyeyes: Thats an INSANELY good deal on a dmax engine, not to mention a brand new 06 one. Your friend want to sell me a LBZ CP3 off one? Seriously. PM me if so. :D

As for the conversion, I'd say that manuel would be the biggest help of all. There is also a guy on here that put a DMax in a 87 crew cab. nick04dmax I believe is his handle. He would likely be a wealth of knowledge for you. His truck looks really sweet and factor installed.

Good luck.

C-ya

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
trust me i about **** my self when i found out about these motors that are in his shop, gm sends him so much crap to make bins/shelfs for its sick,after i found out a drop in 6.5 turbo was like 6000

1 - 20 of 36 Posts