Diesel Place banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1993 Chevy Silverado k3500 , DB2 4911,NV4500, 292k miles.
Original DB2 was plagued by the hot start issue at 284k. Replaced with a rebuild that lasted 13 months. 1 month past warranty.
At 1700 rpm it would fluctuate a couple hundred rpm. At 2000rpm it would auto rev up to 2500rpm. Bucking and jerking was way worse at highway speeds with 2 cord of wood on.
Enter the new IP...same symptoms plus they would happen at 1200 rpm instead of 1700 rpm. Also at 2000 rpm it would drop off to 650 rpm then back up to 2000.
So far all soft lines have been replaced. Blew supply and return lines out. Cleanen the tank out. Not really much in there, but it was on my list. Replaced fuel filter and sock pick up. Fuel pressure is 6lbs at idle 5.5lbs from 1/2 throttle to wot. I've tried with no air filter and with the tuna can off. Tomorrow I'll watch the waste gate and open the throttle to see if its operating properly. I can hear the turbo, but not very well over the constant ringing in my ears. I'm down for putting the Ip back in that I just took out.
Maybe injectors, but other than that I'm at a loss. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

·
Administrator
19,884 Posts
Welcome to DieselPlace

When you replaced the tank sock did you use the correct tank sock? OEM should be AC/Delco TS 1020
An incorrect tank sock will cause a restriction.

The Tuna can would have nothing to do with this issue. Make sure the Tuna can is put back into OEM configuration. with the turbo.
It helps to keep your crankcase seals intact.

I would install a piece of clear fuel line on the return side of the Injection pump to help locate any air in fuel issues

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry it was late when I put that on here. Clear loop was placed between fuel filter and injector pump. No bubbles at any RPM.

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
18,226 Posts
The source of your IP is also very important.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I won't bad mouth them on here, but I have since read the reviews and 90% of them are not pleasant. So I will continue my battle and find the root cause.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts