Diesel Place banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm Neww here y'all have helped me tons in the past . First time posting anything on the internet...lol My Suburban has stalled 3 times in the past 3 months on minimal driving. I filled out the check list. Didn't complete cleaning the grounds, and wasn't able to do the turbo vacuum test yet.

Checklist

1. Describe the problem you are having in detail:p. Stalled 3 times,first time 3+ months back started it drove down gravel driveway to barn let chickens out got back in and drove up a mild incline, it felt like it wasn't getting fuel so I punched it and got it to stay running. Went to store 5 min away left it running when in store, got back on the road it stalled, I parked it then started right back up. 2nd time) 2weeks later 50 degrees temp outside, didn't warm it up, leaving gf house driving down gravel road 10mph, got to main road after 2 minutes it then stalls. Pulled over it started back up. 3rd time) 2 weeks later stalled in the exact same place as the 2nd time this time it was hard to start I cranked it for like 8seconds stopped and cranked again for 8 seconds and pumped the fuel pedal then it started

2. Year of truck/engine. 1996 suburban
3. Odometer reading (indicate miles or kilometers). 219344
4. Indicate the model number on the Injection pump (starts DS4 or DB2......).
5. Indicate if you know if it’s a 1500, 2500, 2500HD, 3500, 3500HD. GMC K2500 4x4

6. Do you have an EGR on the engine? F as 8th digit, EGR

7. Air Filter condition (visual check). The trucks been barely driven the past 3 months mice built a nest, but the problem could have started before that,Just replaced it

8. Fuel filter condition (freshly changed, mileage since changed). Changed 12/21 6000 miles on it(estimate)
9. Location of PMD/FSD? (ex. on pump/remote over intake, behind bumper). In front of fuse relay center, on bracket above wheel well

9a. If remote mounted, describe wiring harness (homemade or purchased from which vendor). Purchased from 1Aauto, pmd relocation kit (diy solutions)

9b. Indicate the location and condition of the FSD/IP grounding wire. On top of IP dirty no corrosion bolt some rust. gonna clean it

10. Outside Temperature (C or F). _50°

11. Service Engine Light while running?- on

11a. Service Engine light does glow during start/cranking/bulb check: Yes

12.Have you scanned for engine codes? Yes

12a. List exact results on engine codes. p0231 fuel pump secondary circuit low
P0236 Turbo/Superboost sensor A

13. Condition of Battery terminals (removed, cleaned and tightened). Little rust lift corrosion, gonna clean.
14. Known condition and age of Batteries.interstate batteries 3yrs 5months old had them charged at interstate last year and they said they were good

14a. Are batteries a matched set of same age? Yes
15. Condition of Major Grounds (removed, cleaned and tightened) cleaning the major grounds today
15a Have the batteries been individually load tested? No

16. Does engine crank, or "turn over"?yes

16a. Does engine start and run? Yes

17. If engine does not start- Crack injector line: do you have fuel? Yes/No
17a. No start electrical gremlin Checklist: No start electrical gremlin checklist
18. Does your Wait To Start light come on?yes

18a.Number of seconds WTS light is lit. Flashes on and off for 30 seconds, but it just started coming on it usually doesn't but you can hear the g plugs cycling
19. Engine Cranking speed (if you have an accurate tachometer). No

20. Are you experiencing Stalling? Yes

20a. happened 3 times,first time 3+ months back started it drove down gravel driveway to barn let chickens out got back in and drove up a mild incline, it felt like it wasn't getting fuel so I punched it and got it to stay running. Went to store 5 min away left it running when in store, got back on the road it stalled, I parked it then started right back up. 2nd time) 2weeks later 50 degrees temp outside, didn't warm it up, leaving gf house driving down gravel road 10mph, got to main road after 2 minutes it then stalls. Pulled over it started back up. 3rd time) 2 weeks later stalled in the exact same place as the 2nd time this time it was hard to start I cranked it for like 8seconds stopped and cranked again for 8 seconds and pumped the fuel pedal then it started
20b. Do you notice loss of dash or instruments? Can't remember

21. Check turbo inlet and air filter for obstructions. There was mice nest in air filter they ate some of the foam, cleaned and replaced it, it could have been from sitting for 3+ months in the country

22. In a no-hot start, pour a bottle of room-temp water on the injection pump. Does it start now?
23. Lift pump test - Describe results. Did the test and it works

24. Upon cold start, does the radiator hose get hard quickly? Yes/No
25. Upon cold start, do you have excessive white smoke? No

26. Do you have excessive cranking time before the engine starts? No

27. Have you used the block heater? Does it affect engine starting? (only try for starting problems). No it is shorted out last winter sparks were flying
28. Are all glow plugs in proper working order? I believe so Mechanic replaced them 3 1/2 years ago with the relays

29. During hard acceleration, do you have excessive black smoke? Don't think so

30. Do you have any unusual exhaust smoke issues? No

31. Turbo check out - Pass/Fail I couldn't move the rod going into the actuator, I will have to do a vacuum test when I get to town.

32. Indicate fuel that you are using: I think no # 2, I was using the winter mix some last year on a snowboarding trip for like 3 weeks

32a. If running Veggie Oil fuel setup, indicate details of your conversion (homemade or packaged system).
33. Are you using any fuel additives? Just
Put some hot shots secret Diesel Extreme concentrated fuel injector cleaner+creamer boost
34. Upon unscrewing fuel cap, do you have a large vacuum formed in the tank? No, when I fill the tank up completely it leaks out from somewhere on top of the tank

35. Do you have any service history available that might pertain to the problem you are having?
2 years 3 months ago the burb stalled on me backing into parking spot. I was thinking it could have been the lift pump because I would usually hear it running. Then about a month before it stalled I stopped hearing it.Got it towed home didn't run for a year. After sitting a year I replaced the lift pump not knowing if it worked or not. After sitting a year I replaced lift pump and had a mechanic get it up and running. Started up pretty easily but we had to bypass the relay to get the lp to run when the key was turned on and not running. It was still working when running and you would hear it after you shut the burb off. Same code as now PO231 wouldn't clear

36. Please indicate any modifications to the vehicle that might help us diagnose

Fuel pump driver module (pmd) relocation kit(diy solutions) 1aauto 3/18

Walbro Frc-10 fuel pump 8/18 (replaced) might still work gotta test it (sle equipment)
Vacuum pump, vacuum pump pulley w/ac
8/18
Ssdieselsupply 6.5 Turbo Diesel Cooling Upgrade Kit W MANIFOLD 3/19

Powermaster 9052 ultra duty diesel starter 10/19

8x 6.5 Instant-Heat Glow Plugs
Glow Plug Controller/Relay
8x Glow Plug Terminal Connectors 10/19

CFD0031 Delphi fuel pump (lp)
19263 duralast relay. 12/21

thanks
Mullein

1996gmc suburban 6.5l turbo diesel k2500

· Administrator
22,221 Posts
Welcome to DieselPlace
(y)

· Registered
4,034 Posts
Trouble code P0231. Is related to the lift pump relay not working right or pump wiring could have a short broken wire ect. This code can cause stalling. As if the PCM does not see voltage coming back to it from the lift pump it will shut the relay off.
Does the Lift pump run when the key is turned to the on position without starting?

Reactions: OkDually

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Trouble code P0231. Is related to the lift pump relay not working right or pump wiring could have a short broken wire ect. This code can cause stalling. As if the PCM does not see voltage coming back to it from the lift pump it will shut the relay off.
Does the Lift pump run when the key is turned to the on position without starting?
No it does not. I can bypass the relay with a wire and I can get it to run

· Registered
6 Posts
I mean id try replacing the pmd. Even after relocation they often can still go bad. If the lift pump is working fine, it has to be the communication it is receiving from the pmd. I mean its a long shot maybe, but it sounds like the issues you've had are very consistent with a failing pmd.

· Registered
4,034 Posts
Lift pump should come on with key on.
I would try replacing the fuel pump (Lift Pump) relay. also check the connections related to the lift pump and grounds.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts