Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Have you ever wondered what your stock power rating on your 6.5 Diesel engine was? I know many people have, and have seen many threads asking for it, so I figured I'd start this thread to post it all together in one place, so below I have posted them broke down by year and VIN code. This info is for 1994-1998 engines, and is straight off the GM books. I suspect that the 1999-2002 ratings would match the highest on this chart. For emissions information, scroll past power ratings.

All of the following numbers are taken from the flywheel(net readings) not the wheels(Rear wheel horsepower).

1994:
VIN RPO HP TQ
P L49 [email protected] RPM 275 [email protected] RPM
S L56 [email protected] RPM 360 [email protected] RPM
F L65 [email protected] RPM 385 [email protected] RPM

1995:
VIN RPO HP TQ
P L49 [email protected] RPM 275 [email protected] RPM

1996:
VIN RPO HP TQ

1997:
VIN RPO HP TQ
F L65 [email protected] RPM 430 [email protected] RPM

1998:
VIN RPO HP TQ
F L65 [email protected] RPM 430 [email protected] RPM

Did my truck come with a cat? What about EGR? was it factory turbocharged? The chart posted below will tell you, and is also for 94-98 vehicles and straight off the GM books.

Vin P Truck's( L49 RPO code)
are Naturally Aspirated(N/A), have Exhaust Gas Recirculation(EGR), and had no Cat converter.

Vin S Truck's(L56 RPO code) are Turbocharged, have EGR, and also have a Cat Converter.

Vin F Truck's(L65 RPO code) are turbocharged, have no EGR, and have a cat converter.

Vin Y Truck's(RPO L57) for 1994-1996 are N/A, have no EGR, and have no Cat converter.

Vin T Truck's(RPO L57) for 1997 - 1998 are N/A, have EGR is california equipped, and have a cat converter.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Thanks good info!
Got some info on the 1993?
Thanks,

all this info came out of a book i was given from my school. Unfortunately the book is for the electronic injection 6.5s. I'll see what i can dig up for you however.

·
Registered
714 Posts

·
Super Moderator A Country Boy Can Survive...
14,350 Posts
I think they put the decimal in the wrong place on torque. Should be more like 38.5 FT-LBS. :D

BTW, nice new graphic, RCPD!

my little 3 cyl N/A diesel tractor makes more than 38.5 ft lbs. :lol:

Green Machine made RC's avatar, and mine as well as his own. I thikn he did a great job.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Diesel Cash, I've seen 92-93 numbers, including 215/430, but have no clue of the actual factory ratings or variations. But from what I've heard, that sounds common on the valve covers.

Monel Funkawitz, Thanks. Like Dave said, Green Machine made it. Did a good job too.

·
14,350 Posts
Diesel Cash, I've seen 92-93 numbers, including 215/430, but have no clue of the actual factory ratings or variations. But from what I've heard, that sounds common on the valve covers.

Monel Funkawitz, Thanks. Like Dave said, Green Machine made it. Did a good job too.

215 HP sounds a bit high. thats where the first gen powerstroke was at for HP but i'm unsure of the torque. i think odlaw's 92 says 200 or 205 HP on the sticker.

·
Registered
714 Posts
That is probably at the starter pinion and not the flywheel. :D

Heh. I gotta quit knockin on the old girl. She still throws her weight around pretty good for a 97 and manifold pressures that would struggle to inflate a balloon. 210,000 miles and she still gets me to work every day.

·
14,350 Posts

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Good info, but can we call it a "soot trap" for the L65 models?:hug:

That way, people are MORE inclined just to cut the thing off!!!:D

Regards,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts