Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled my top intake and turbo housing off to fit my intercooler pipes. One pipe needs to be cut and rewelded so i put it all back together stock for know. The truck started right up ran for a minute then stalled. Any one have any advice? It feels like there is no fuel it just turns over and won't catch.I did clean the upper intake out with brake clean to get the carbon out. Would that give the sensors a false reading in the intake?
Thanks Kurt

·
Registered
294 Posts
With what you did and the results it has to be something simple like a connection. Check the connection on any wire connectors you opened when you removed the intake. Check the fuel lift pump oil presure switch to make sure that did not become disconnected while you were around it. The carb cleaner should not have caused a problem.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Howie,I some how lost fuel pressure so i had to purge the system and i got it running.Did you have a hard time with installing your pipes on the intercooler? Frustratinghad it all apartand then had to put back to stock to run. Thanks again Kurt

·
Registered
294 Posts
As for the installation of the pipes, my intercooler is a Turbo Tech, now out of business. It was straight forwardjust had to cut 4 or 5 ins. off the neck of the intake and turn the turbo housing outlet down to line up with the pipe going to the intercooler. I have attached a pic to show how I have increased the air flow over the intercooler It is a truck flap cut down to fit and supported by tye wraps. So far I have not plowed through snow that deep. If your downpipe goes outside the frame and close to the front right brake line make sure you have clearance. I cut my brake line with the downpipe because I lost the clearance after reinstalling the pipe when it blew off while on the road. That made for fun.

Do you know how or when you lost the fuel pressure. I can not see the connection to the intercooler installation.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I lost my fuel pressure because i loosened the air vent on top of the fuel filter.It all worked out for the best because the fuel filter was nasty and needed replacing.My intercooler lines run up next to the engine not out side of the frame rail. Also did you feel an improvement when you installed it? Let me know thanks Kurt

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Is the lift pump the one under the truck? Also i realized stupid me hit the air vent on the top of the fuel filter and that must be how i lost pressure! I least i learned that lesson the not so hard way. thanks again Kurt

Yes, the lift pump is the one under the truck. With the engine running, try opening the water drain valve.(or the bleeder on the filter but it will make more mess) If the truck dies, it isn't working. If you get a steady flow of diesel and the truck keeps running fine then it is working.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Yes the results were quite noticable. I have a couple of 3/4 to 1 mile hills on the east end of the Pa turnpike that I use as calibrations hills. These are the type of hill that will slow you down to the point of downshifting if you are pullig a load. Before the intercooler the truck would drop it's road speed from 65 going in to 57 at the crest and now it will accelerate if desired on the same hill.

If you have a small handheld brake bleeder hand vacuum pump use it on the air bleed drain line in future fuel filer changes. Open the air vent and them pull a vacuum on the drain line. This will drain the bowl down to a point below the outflow of the filter and thus no dirt can get into the outflow tube when you lift the filter out of the housing.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well since you guys are so helpful here is my next question! The day i put the downpipe on and removed the cat i welded a straight pipe in.The second i started it up it ran rich pure black smoke. It never did that before it cleaned up for the most part .Now it seams to do it only when the motor is warm and sitting at a light or somthing for a minute.No power bogging and pure black smoke . Any ideas? Mass air flow getting too hot and giving me a bad reading? Thanks Kurt

·
Registered
294 Posts
Kirt

I am not sure about your problem now. Please give more detail for your comment, No power bogging and pure black smoke . I removed my cat and never saw any effect other than the cleaning out of the exhaust pipe just after the removal. How many miles since you removed the cat? The mass air sensor is up on the intake. Are you sure it got reconnected and not damaged while you were working.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
You will love the IC, I would say its the best performance improvement you can do to the truck. I am using the larger IC and the highest temps I have ever seen after the IC is 120*. That was in the hot SE on one of those big grades pulling my 5th whell grossing about 15K.

Greg

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It has been about 6000 miles since the cat has been off. I asked about the Mass airflow cause the air box gets pretty hot next to the turbo. Everything is plugged in . the only change that day was welding a pipe in place of the cat.Nothing else was touched that day.but it is like it is not running on all cylinders once the turbo spools up and blows out the black smoke it starts to clean up but not a 100%.It actually runs pretty rough when its hot. I can't figurte it out unless its the computer but i would think it would be the same hot or cold. Kurt

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Are all the hoses and wires for the EGR system ok? You could also try taking to hose off the egr valve and see it it makes a difference. (plug the hose)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ya all the egr junk is there plugged in and not touched. I will try to unplug it and see if it makes a differance tomorrow

·
Registered
294 Posts
Black smoke is unburned fuel. Could something have dropped in the manifold while the air box was off? If so and it lodged in one of the exhausted valves that could cause this. Try listening with a stethoscope over each cylinder and see if there is any difference. Or even more conclusive would be a compression check.

In an earlier life I dropped a small nut through the carb on my VW.

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
If it was something stuck in a valve, would it mostly only smoke at idle?

I now wonder if that could have possibly happened to mine. It doesen't smoke at idle at all but does under load (even with 12 psi boost) It is going to have the heads pulled next wednesday so I will have to have them check thr valves.

Human Hammer,

if it doesen't make any difference to pull the hose off, I would try using a vacuum pump on it to try opening it with the engine idling and see if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I kind of don't think anything is stuck in the valves, if it did you would have strange noises and a very noticable miss, not to mention that it if something is stuck in a valve (unless it is really small) you would have much larger problems like a broken piston or a busted head, from the valve strike

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good Evening! I unplugged the egr and pluggeg the vaccum hose and not one puff of smoke the hole way home from work.There are defiantly no valves stuck it idles supper smooth. I read on J kennedy site not to disconnect the egr because the computer doesn't like it.So i didn't even think about trying that .

·
Registered
294 Posts
Having never had an EGR valve on any of my vehicals longer than it took to remove it I cann't trouble shoot yours. At least you now know were the problem is. Now the question is fix it or forget it?

Let us know which way you go.Edited by: HowieE

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
If it was me, I would just leave the hose plugged, but if you want it fixed, I would guess it is a bad solenoid. (probably the one that the hose goes directly to from the EGR valve)

One other thing it might be is the two vacuum lines at the solenoid reversed.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I never touched the vacum lines so i'm sure i didn't switch them.I am gonna see how it runs after i get the IC in.It seems like im running in circles to get better performance and my brother just plugs a box in his duramax and gets crazy horsepower somethings aren't fair!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts