Diesel Place banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
So curious... aside from the PMD relocation, if you had to pick, what single thing have you done to your 6.5 that provided the best bang for the buck? I find it intriguing all the modifications you guys have listed for your 6.5 engines.

·
Administrator
15,989 Posts
So curious... aside from the PMD relocation, if you had to pick, what single thing have you done to your 6.5 that provided the best bang for the buck? I find it intriguing all the modifications you guys have listed for your 6.5 engines.
Best bang for the buck to improve the 6.5L:
The k47 intake
4" turbo back exhaust
OPS relay mod (Pre-96 years)
Harmonic Balancer and Pulley upgrade
PMD relocation
Fuel additive in each tank of fuel
Oil Cooler lines upgraded to stainless braided

·
Administrator
15,989 Posts
Since you have the 1500 series. It would benefit your engine to upgrade the Intake Plenum to the F VIN (Non EGR) intake and tune out the EGR codes

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
17,793 Posts
Just put your spare in the tool box inside the truck.

I started mounting 2 of them on the bumper but the weather cause the bolts to rust and the bolt holding the PMD to start rusting.

I do have the spare on a heatsink in the tool box inside the truck and ready to mount if the currently use one failed.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Best bang for the buck to improve the 6.5L:
The k47 intake
4" turbo back exhaust
OPS relay mod (Pre-96 years)
Harmonic Balancer and Pulley upgrade
PMD relocation
Fuel additive in each tank of fuel
Oil Cooler lines upgraded to stainless braided
I did everything but the K47 upgrade on my 95 3500hd. Its a work truck that doesn't get used much but when I need it starts and runs like a dream.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Okay... 6.5 skips after non-use... The truck finally died on me and required a tow. Turns out that the issue was a broken / intermittent wire to the fuel cut-off solenoid. Only thing I can figure is that when cold intermittent and when hot... who knows.. expansion and was okay until it was not and left me stranded alongside road with boat in tow. My guess is that some time in the past year or two when the injection pump was replaced the wire was damaged. Truck is running fine now and pulls great. 313K miles

21 - 26 of 26 Posts