Diesel Place banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this shuttle bus today and it is a 98 GMC with the 6.5 with 119,000 miles. It drove well on the way home however it does get some type of dust through the vents. It does not smell like exhaust or burning wires but if i accelerate even slightly hard, the dust or whatever it is, comes out of the vents. It is especially noticeable when the AC is on but it still does it slightly even with the AC off and as i said, next to no smell of anything.
Any ideas on what i can check or what might be causing this?

I also stopped on the way home and shut it off and went to start it again fairly quickly and it just clicked when i tried to turn it over. It did this 3 times and the 4th time it fired right up. Any idea what could could cause that also ?

Attachments

·
Administrator
22,331 Posts
Welcome to DieselPlace

The dust issue could be from an aftermarket cabin filter that is plugged or dirty or a blower fan motor housing issue or ??
For the starting issue I would first remove your batteries and have them individually load tested. If one or both fail that test, replace them both as a matched set.
Go through all grounds. Remove each one, clean then reinstall. Replace any that are in questionable shape.
Grounds-Grounds-Grounds The importance of good grounds.....

Reactions: 56pan

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to DieselPlace

The dust issue could be from an aftermarket cabin filter that is plugged or dirty or a blower fan motor housing issue or ??
For the starting issue I would first remove your batteries and have them individually load tested. If one or both fail that test, replace them both as a matched set.
Go through all grounds. Remove each one, clean then reinstall. Replace any that are in questionable shape.
Grounds-Grounds-Grounds The importance of good grounds.....
Thanks. Do you know where I can find the cabin air filter ??

·
Administrator
22,331 Posts
Thanks. Do you know where I can find the cabin air filter ??
If there is one installed it would be from the bus body builder. If you can find a builder tag you might google their information

Reactions: 56pan

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
18,457 Posts
No standard cabin filter in a GM trucks.
So, that is specific for your bus.

·
Registered
2020 Silverado 3500HD Duramax/Allison, LT, Crew Cab, SRW, Std. Bed, Z71, 4WD,
2,132 Posts
The starter issue sounds like the old Chevy V8 hot starter problem. Starter sitting too close to hot exhaust, won’t start until it cools down. Not sure in the 6.5 van how close the exhaust is to the starter. Fix would be exhaust wrap and/or heat shield.
Are you going to do an RV conversion with that bus?

·
Registered
2,132 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The starter issue sounds like the old Chevy V8 hot starter problem. Starter sitting too close to hot exhaust, won’t start until it cools down. Not sure in the 6.5 van how close the exhaust is to the starter. Fix would be exhaust wrap and/or heat shield.
Are you going to do an RV conversion with that bus?
Yes. It was partially converted with thrift store type stuff when I got it but it is being gutted out completely and I am going to build it into an RV.

since it does not have a cabin air filter,do you know where I should start to try and figure out where all this dust is coming from ?
And I do not think it is a hot start issue because it even does it when it is cold. 2 or 3 times the solenoid just clicks and does not turn over. The guy I bought it from said that it has a new starter already.

·
Administrator
22,331 Posts
Yes. It was partially converted with thrift store type stuff when I got it but it is being gutted out completely and I am going to build it into an RV.

since it does not have a cabin air filter,do you know where I should start to try and figure out where all this dust is coming from ?
And I do not think it is a hot start issue because it even does it when it is cold. 2 or 3 times the solenoid just clicks and does not turn over. The guy I bought it from said that it has a new starter already.
I would look in the blower motor housing and the venting hoses for a source of the dust.

You can remove your starter and take it to a local auto parts store for testing.
Make absolutely sure that the starter support bracket is in place when done or you risk severe damage to the engine block

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Keep us posted on your conversion progress.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
18,457 Posts
It probably good to take off the blower, clean it.
Then while the blower is out, you can vacuum or even wash the evaporator.
Make sure the condensate hose is not clogged, otherwise, it is a good chance to clear it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts