Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Friends,
I have an oil filter problem in my 6.5L Burb. I CAN’T GET IT OUT. Grrr. I was trying a boa strap wrench that I have used for years on different vehicles but this filter doesn’t want to come off, all it’s doing is denting it. The x-over pipe, frame and front axle drive shaft is in the way. Last night I bought a filter wrench, the type that caps on to the end, haven’t tried it yet. I will see later if I have success.

Remote filter location is going through my mind big time. I was looking around for a location and now I am asking for input on a name of a good remote filter and good position for the remote filter.

Thanks
teamjnz

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Still can't get it off. I guess I will go to a quickie oil change shop to have the filter changed.

teamjnz

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Crush the bejesus out of it to get a good grip and then don't get carried away putting the new one on. I used the permacool dual filter remote (slightly modded to take bigger filters) and put it under the drivers feet. Love it.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Been there, done that

Had one stuck on my pickup. Filter wrench crushed it. Stuck screwdriver into it and tried to turn it. Tore up the filter. Finally took my steel chisel and hammer, and started tapping the chisel into the steel mating surface. It finally came off, but not before my arms feel like they would also.

Lesson to be learned, make sure the o ring has oil before installing, and follow the instructions on the filter. Usually 3/4 to one turn after contact and then check for leaks.

·
Registered
215 Posts
the first oil change i did on my truck when i bought it took about 2 hours and every type of filter removal device made, screwdriver and hammer won, about a 30th of a turn each time , i was horrid about that b.s., didnt look like rubber had been oiled to well(seemed britle). well hope ya had better luck

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I finally got it off. WOW what a job. This is the first oil change I have done on this truck since I bought it. It seem that the previous owner didn't oil the O-ring and tightened it on to way far. The ring was squished, maybe he was going to a quickie oil changer and they tightened it to much.

I was about to take off the whole oil filter unit off of the block. I went down to Harbor Freight to get a large socket set and bought a vice-grip thing made for taking off oil filters, big open jaws with teeth. I really didn't think this thing was going to work but for 7 buck what the heck. To my suprise it worked!!

teamjnz

1 - 6 of 6 Posts