Diesel Place banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Quick update on the overheating issue...first thanks to all the input and suggestions. I installed my homemade bypass restrictor and the Hayden # 2840 fan clutch. I have since towed my 32 ft. camper a couple of times and the issue appears to be fixed. Both times I was towing in some pretty hilly country. One hill was about a 7% grade for almost 4 miles and others pretty close to that. The weather both times was pushing 90 degrees and she tickled 215 degrees a couple times but never really went much above that. Before it would push close to 225 ! Now I need to figure out how to get a little more power out of her without braking the bank or major reconstructive surgery. Ideas,,,?

·
Administrator
16,326 Posts
Try adding a k47 air intake from a 97'+ year Chevy/GM Diesel and a 4" Turbo Back, Diamond Eye exhaust system.

(y)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Try adding a k47 air intake from a 97'+ year Chevy/GM Diesel and a 4" Turbo Back, Diamond Eye exhaust system.

(y)
Well I already have a 4" turbo back exhaust and a kn cold air intake set up....

·
Administrator
16,326 Posts
Well I already have a 4" turbo back exhaust and a kn cold air intake set up....
Your K & N is taking in the air inside of the engine bay where the engine heat is.
Hot intake air temps rob power and performance from the engine.
Also, the K & N filter is not the best choice. Over time the cotton fibers retain dirt, no matter how much you clean them and become restrictive.

Installing a k47 air intake that allows outside, ambient air to get to the engine will allow for optimal combustion and performance.
Diesel engines love cold air, not hot engine heat air.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Well, point taken I have kind of suspected what you said all along but you see a lot of people talking about the cold air as an add-on and obviously they are sold aftermarket but I will be on the hunt for a k 47 air cleaner box assembly...btw do you know anybody that has one for sale or where I might locate one cuz I have looked for the air cleaner box assembly in the past with not much luck

·
Administrator
16,326 Posts
Well, point taken I have kind of suspected what you said all along but you see a lot of people talking about the cold air as an add-on and obviously they are sold aftermarket but I will be on the hunt for a k 47 air cleaner box assembly...btw do you know anybody that has one for sale or where I might locate one cuz I have looked for the air cleaner box assembly in the past with not much luck
You can browse around on Craigslist, eBay or car-part.com and sometimes they are listed here in our marketplace section of the forum.
Be sure when you locate one it is for a 97'+ year Chevy diesel. There are k47 gasser intakes that will not work.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts