Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1997 Chevy K3500 4x4 with fairly new PMD mounted to front bumper.
I had to post a new question because I’ve developed a new problem from my last one. I had to replace a leaking tank and when I did, the lift pump lasted about 30 miles. I replaced it and that one (Delphi) lasted about the same. I pulled the tank and removed the tank sock from the new FSU and put it on an external filter. The new Delphi pump ran fine , but started dying at idle. Then, I figured that the tank might be pulling a vacuum because I patched the rust holes in the vent tube from the FSU to the filler neck. I put in a tee with one port screened opening to atmosphere. It idled fine for 45 minutes & drove fine for 20 minutes. The next week I drove it about 15 miles and it died on a right turn. It started right up and I parked to get some lumber. I started it up and a mile down the road I made a left turn and it died. It would not start. I immediately assumed it was the lift pump because I couldn’t hear it. I replaced that pump and could hear it run. I bled it off at the FFM, but it will not start. I towed it back to house but haven’t been able to work on it. My first thing will be the clear tube for air bubbles. I will go over the grounds, but am not confident about that. I have a year or so old new pmd mounted on the front bumper, but even plugging in the old pmd, it would not start. Any other thoughts?

·
Administrator
16,738 Posts
You are on the right diagnosis path. Get the clear line installed and go through all grounds. ( Link is in the 6.5L FAQ page)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went to AutoZone and Napa and neither one of them knew anything about clear fuel line. They suggested I go to Lowe’s and get some tubing. Will this work?

·
Administrator
16,738 Posts
I went to AutoZone and Napa and neither one of them knew anything about clear fuel line. They suggested I go to Lowe’s and get some tubing. Will this work?
It has to be fuel rated hose.
Look for Tygon clear fuel line. Most auto parts stores carry it in their lawnmower section.

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
You can also find it in blue which is what I used. Its sometimes in the lawnmower section but I also see it in the atv snowmobile sections too. Its fairly dark but you can still see the bubbles through it. Raider seems to be a popular brand a lot of places carry so if you can't find it locally you should be able to search 'raider fuel line' and find it online.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The truck died after idling for 30 minutes and would not restart. I have a hard time believing that it is a ground issue since the truck never moved while sitting on the trailer. It is likely air or some kind of electronic heat up that’s failing. I tried to start it the next morning when it was good and cool, but nothing but cranking. I did get some clear fuel line from AZ, but I can’t work on the truck till I get some time.

·
Registered
163 Posts
The truck died after idling for 30 minutes and would not restart. I have a hard time believing that it is a ground issue since the truck never moved while sitting on the trailer. It is likely air or some kind of electronic heat up that’s failing. I tried to start it the next morning when it was good and cool, but nothing but cranking. I did get some clear fuel line from AZ, but I can’t work on the truck till I get some time.
Have you checked compression or tested the glow plugs?

·
Administrator
16,738 Posts
Start going through the engine harness looking for any rodent damage, rubbed through wire insulation, corrosion, etc.
Inspect all the connectors

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Squirrels have been problems with other vehicles here, in fact they cost me a new 4wd transfer case switch on this truck and some of the marker lights on the flatbed. But, I didn’t see any damage to the pmd cables. The glow plugs are fairly new and the wait to start time goes to almost nothing with multiple key on cycles so I assume they are heating up.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
The engine harness under the intake is a common victim.
Try wiggling it when running to see if it causes problems.

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
17,878 Posts
Make sure there are no "kinks" in the hoses.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No start this morning. I did a code read and the only 1 is P0236 but who knows how long that’s been there. I got an air release before the diesel started pumping out of the ffm. But after I purge that out it should start, right?

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
17,878 Posts
How long did you crank after the air release?
You need to do the air release once and it should be good.
If you keep getting air release everytime, there is some leak somewhere, it may be a continous air coming into the fuel system.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts