Diesel Place banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help!! also Please bear with me, I am relatively new to diesels.
I have a 94 GMC Sierra with a 6.5 L diesel w/ automatic. Things I've done so far, New Borg Warner turbo with spring operated wastegate. elimination of vac. pump, relocated PMD, new Injectors, new upsized intake, installed a 2000+ Water pump, Hayden fan clutch, duromax fan and new radiator and 185 degree thermostat due to overheating issues. Remaining things I want to do, Quadstar multi-position tuner, and a 4 inch exhaust system. Just completed the cooling modifications and took for test drive pulling 4K lbs trailer. Truck kicked into lower gear on slightest incline, acted like trailer brakes were locked up but they were not. could the lack out the the tuner chip cause this? to my knowledge, the existing chip is stock.

·
Administrator
22,295 Posts
Welcome to DieselPlace

Do you have a set of gauges to monitor things like Turbo Boost and EGT's ?

Any codes?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No gauges, that is something else I need to do. A friend loaned me a temporary boost gauge for a test after turbo install. with no load (trailer) and we got about 9.5 lbs of boost

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
18,435 Posts
The new parts, are they ACDelco? or Bosch for injector?
Any particular reason why so many new parts thrown in at the same time?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The new parts, are they ACDelco? or Bosch for injector?
Any particular reason why so many new parts thrown in at the same time?
The injectors are Bosch from SS diesel supply, (NEVER AGAIN) Trying to upgrade parts to get it into better shape. Due to it being a vehicle repo and I'm not sure of the care it was given, I really like the truck.
The existing Turbo fan was pitted pretty bad. Went with Borg warner turbo to help increase power. first time towing trailer it overheated and went into limp mode. Now it is steady at 195 degrees towing trailer. Found out after the trailer tow test drive, the alternator was bad. replaced it. Can a bad alternator cause the truck to have shift issues if the battery is running low? Just thought of that. I hope the multi position chip will resolve any fuel issues.
Thanks for the help. it is greatly appreciated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts