Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I recently bought a silverado k1500 6.5TD with 200k on it that has an engine knock but it runs and drives, tiiiny bit of blowby.

Started doing some diagnostics and noticed the harmonic balancer wobbled and thought that was my problem. Got a new one + puller, still wobbling.

Pulled the oil pan out and there is some debris in there (see photo).. 2 bigger chunks and some shavings

The problem is i cant for the life of me figure out where its coming from.
Pistons and rods look ok from the bottom.
Cylinders seems fine.
Can't see any damage on the crank either.

So before i pull the heads off, is there anything else i could check from the bottom?

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Before you start removing things, lay down and turn the crank by hand back and forth, you will soon see something loose , my bet is that's bearing material you see, from the rods most likely .... and if the crank is wobbling it may be broken ... and yes some still run after it breaks, just not long...

·
Administrator
16,702 Posts
Welcome to DieselPlace

What year is the truck?

·
Administrator
16,702 Posts
Thank you!
It's a 1995
I'm with sctrailrider... If your harmonic balancer and pulley were bad there is a good chance your crankshaft may be broken.
Rotate the bottom assembly and inspect everything ( Mains/ Webs for any cracks, Crankshaft, etc)
Look for any play in the crankshaft.too

Reactions: Ideekay

·
Administrator
16,702 Posts
Time for a fresh motor
(y)

·
Administrator
16,702 Posts
Yup.. Just have to find one, not a ton of them over here in sweden..

Thank you both for your help!
If the Mains and webs are crack free, the cylinders in decent shape you may get away with rebuilding the motor.
Using a can of Brake clean on the mains and web areas of the block can draw out oils in hidden cracks and make them visible..

Reactions: jmp417

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ripped the engine out, removed the heads and was greeted with atleast 1 cracked piston and a few looking like they were thrown off a cliff..

Can anyone recommend a place that sells engines used/remans/ new whatever.. cant find one over here...

·
Administrator
16,702 Posts
Our Supporting Vendor: Kennedy Diesel can help with Reman engines. Kennedy Diesel
Leroy Diesel Offers New Optimizer Blocks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts