Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am brand new to the site and wanted to get some opinions about the situation I'm in. So, I finally take my 95 chevy to the dealer to have drivability issues fixed. It gets a new injector pump and ECM, a lot of money but I'd like to get another hundred thousand out of the truck. (It's got 156000 miles on it.) I pick up the truck Thursday evening. The truck runs fine like it always did for about a half mile. Then starts smoking pretty bad, and running rough. Probably made it about a mile. Truck gets towed back to the dealer. They look at it Friday. Saturday I go in and talk to the service manager. He says its got blown head gaskets. (Claims when running its shooting water out of the engine bay with hood up!?) So, my real question is should I be paying for them to fix it or should they be eating this bill? Truck had no water consumption issues or water in the oil before I took it to them. I have never seen a head gasket just let go like that. Any comments or similar problems? Thanks Kyle

·
Registered
101 Posts
I drive from here to Sacramento 4 times a month. Its just like being in a race at Daytona for alot of reasons. One of them being I see about 2 cars a month blowing motors right in front of me. I don't know if they are blowing the motor or a head gasket or just looseing a radiator hose but I see it alot. My experience with head gaskets is they go out slowly with plenty of warning. But that was on gas engines.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Sounds to me like another bad dealer story. I would say they are taking you for a ride, mostly because they don't know what they are doing as far as the 6.5 goes. Good luck, and hopefully someone can offer you some advice here.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Pretty hard to mistake a Pump AND ECM problem for a blown head gasket and vice versa. I agree with jac6695, sounds like another incompetent dealer to me.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
The stealer is the last place for any 6.5L/6.2L. They will run up a bill that eclipses the value of the truck.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
If they replaced the IP, I suspect the coolant problems or now lack of it started with them, I wonder if they remembered to fill back up the coolant lost from the IP removal or correctly reconnected them,

do you see a charge for coolant on the original repair bill??

Gaskets don't just blow and squirt as they claim, do you know of an independent mechanic that can look it over, what are your mechanical skills I think you ought to check up on them something doesn't sound right. Off hand depending where it is squirting from, I suspect the heater byass quick disconnect, it is a common failure point, fitting rots, clip breaks, or oring hardens. Many of us have retrofitted ours with a pipe/barb fitting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts