Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so exuded to take the baby up the mountain to BigBear lake for snow sledding and road trip day. We live at 0 feet above sea level. 2-1/2 hrs later we were at 9,000 feet and 20*f. The suburban suprised me on easy up hill climb and the great fuel mileage. Well an hour into being up there BOOM the big one. They call it hit. Winter storm from hell! Visibility was to about halfway to the end of the hood. After an hour and a half it let up enough to play in the snow with the suburban and earn me a few hundred bucks pulling cars out of ditches. Then more storm. I got around like nothing was wrong in 2wd. Then around 2pm it started getting scary and I wanted off the mountain bc a foot deep was on the ground of snow then the ice started coming down. Pulled the magic lever and the smiles began that suburban ' 4x4 stance torque and control of what feels like limitless power was amazing I pulled 2 dump/plow trucks back into the center of the road before all was said and done I love my suburban big heavy ***** is made for mountain blizzards!! Then about 30 min down the pass the worst happened. A jack ass son of a ***** none english speaking asian in a tour bus jack knifed in a turn I wouldn't take in a limo on dry roads and we were F###ED. 6 hrs of idle time no way down no way back up see pics and videos

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
.we sat like this for what felt like a lifetime I watched 2 movies on my wife's tablet

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We sat parked for so long we got out and made a snow man I the middle of the 330 highway

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I meant to post this in the general 6.5 section not the builds category sorry for mix up... cellphone Internet error

·
R.I.P. Sam
32,078 Posts
Moved to 6.5 :thumb:

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
What kind of tires do you have?

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gf good wrench all season. Nothing special stock size 265/75/16

·
Registered
110 Posts
hey tugboat. nice to see you and your family had a great snowday and you got to enjoy your 6.5td burb in the snow. no snow here where i live so ill never have that fun unless i travel to NY to visit family.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah we live close to huntington beach california and it was 2hr drive for us to get to the snow. If you get the chance to go see NY in the snow do it these trucks are so heavy they just plow right through the stuff

·
Whistle Pigs Are Cool
2,460 Posts
You think the 'burb is that good in snow?
Put 4 Winter Tires on it! I rarely use 4WD in the high elevation Colorado winter driving.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah 2wd I was just having fun 4wd wasn't really needed but when the wife started whining I put it in to stop the noise coming from the passenger seat and then she wished she had kept quite bc I was running up and over all the plowed snow and ice mounds and down into ditches abd back out to get people's cars unstuck just had a blast I can imagine with snow tires it'd be hard to beat

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Yeah 2wd I was just having fun 4wd wasn't really needed but when the wife started whining I put it in to stop the noise coming from the passenger seat and then she wished she had kept quite bc I was running up and over all the plowed snow and ice mounds and down into ditches abd back out to get people's cars unstuck just had a blast I can imagine with snow tires it'd be hard to beat

You got one of them special equipped models too.. Been trying to unplug my passenger seat since new, still whines the same but oh how the stink eye has gotten worse.. :hehe:

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:rofl yeah man sometimes I have to drive like a real crazy jackass to get that knocking nag nag nag nag to go away

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Must be nice! even with a 3.42 posi, my 1500 2wd is HOPELESS in the snow. It gets stuck in the grass frequently if there is any dew on the ground :hehe:

The extra weight of the 'tugboat' lets her dig in and go! Time for a high idle switch now so you can bump up the RPM when sitting that long : )

What head unit do you have hanging out there? I toyed with the idea of making a custom console to hold a double DIN, or you can get a flip out screen style that goes in the middle of the dash. I like the 94 interior other than the fact you can only properly fit a single din into the center of the dash with an install kit.

·
Whistle Pigs Are Cool
2,460 Posts
Must be nice! even with a 3.42 posi, my 1500 2wd is HOPELESS in the snow. It gets stuck in the grass frequently if there is any dew on the ground :hehe:

Too much POWAH!

·
Registered
846 Posts
I don't need 4x4 much but it would be nice to have it when needed!! Little jealous of you 4x4 guys! I would love to find a way to convert her over but haven't yet!

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Too much POWAH!
BOOOST :bounce:
IMO.. To much posi.... My C3500 gets stuck rather easily too, she sit-n-spins and/or plows forward with zero directional control. Latter was more so my problem..
So much so that years ago, after a few tow truck bills, I bought a reese receiver hitch (front) w/ outfitted detachable winchplate for quick escapes from muddy construction sites...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts