Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am a new diesel owner of an old truck. 1995 6.5 turbo. I bought a dead truck. Have rebuilt the motor (could have probably bought a new one for the same amount!), but when we fire it, it will idle great, but starts breaking down if you try to accelerate. If you ease the rev's up, it will go to about 1500 rpm and sound OK, but if you try to rev any higher, it will not accelerate, sputters and you get a tremendous amount of black smoke!!
We replaced the pump with another supposedly working properly pump, but the same thing happens. Is the problem the pump or black box???
Any help appreciated greatly!
Thanks,
Jimmy

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
For starters, did you read the troubleshooting section in the faq's. This could very well be the pmd. Buy a new pmd and see if that fixes the problem. If not, you at least have a spare pmd for when the one you've got finally kicks the bucket.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is the best alternative for the PMD? Original or aftermarket? In original mounting location or remote mount?
Is there a chance that the pump is causing my problem problem...or is the PMD probably the cause?
Thanks!
Jimmy

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Did you have the pump timed when you replaced it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Done by a auto machine shop. The guy is great with gas engines, but not to familiar with diesels. He thinks it is correct!

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Did he scan it or not?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did he scan??? What? Honestly, gas engines I know a good deal about, but I am lost on a diesel!!!
Code scan? We did not, simply because we have to take it across town. We do not have access to a scan tool, unless, will the cheap gas code scanner/reader work? It flashes the check engine light to notify the code?
Thanks!

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
No, he has to use a scanner to set the pump timing after replacement.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Hi,
I am a new diesel owner of an old truck. 1995 6.5 turbo.
Hey, I resemble that remark! Funny, don't really think of my truck as old yet....

Stopped at a local diesel shop to see if they worked on 6.5s. Got to talking with the owner (old-timer) and asked if he had a Tech 2. Said "nope, we just time 'em by ear." I'm still looking for a shop that will work on it should I ever get in over my head.

Jimmy, you're getting good advice here, get the timing set properly.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Yep, get that timing set! Not getting it timed is like not timing a gas engine with a distributor - chances are it will run like crap until you set the timing properly.

With a diesel, fuel injection timing IS the timing, instead of spark timing with a gasser.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Also Goatkeeper, Please update your signature so we all can better remember what it is that you own. Also it might help if we knew what area you lived in, like state, someone might live close enough to come by and help you.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
haha....I assUmeD that timing was set when pump was installed. :Wedgie:

won't run well if at all when timing is off.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the input, gentlemen. So how do I go about timing the pump with a scanner? Where do I find the settings?
Thanks,
Jimmy

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
you'll need a tech 2 scanner or a snap on mt2500. read the timing and tdco learn in the faq section. There's a very thorough explanation there.

the easiest thing to do is to take it to the dealer and pay them an hour's worth of time to set the timing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Want to thank "Turbine Doc" for his help! Careful out there guys, don't overlook the simple things! I found pieces of a foam filter element stopping up my Turbo. I wish I had checked this before I listened to my local mechanics who had me buy a used injector pump and PMD! Thanks everyone else for your imput, also. Nice to have people to turn to that are willing to help!
Jimmy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts