Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 94 6.5 was starting hard when it was cold and seem to white smoke like injectors so i put marine injectors in and changed the glow plugs still does the same thing i did replace the optical sensor in the injector pump prior to changing the other stuff is it possible it's off a little causing this or ?

·
Administrator
18,476 Posts
Welcome to DieselPlace
White smoke can be a sign of a head gasket issue or unburned fuel.
Does the smoke clear up after warm up?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Welcome to Diesel Place. My 95' suburban with 230k miles does not like cold starts. A couple of things, both batteries need a full charge and battery cables need to be connected solidly. Second thing, if it is the slightest bit cold outside, the block heater needs to be plugged in. Either of those two items can make the difference in an easy cold start or a difficult one for my 6.5. Overly sensitive to cold starting? You bet.

Sent from my SM-S515DL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
18,078 Posts
Agree with both posts above.

In addition:
How cold is the ambient temperature?
What marine injectors did you put in? If it is not Bosch Original like Herzog, etc. are not good.
OS needs to be put exactly as the original otherwise IP will become paper weight.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to DieselPlace
White smoke can be a sign of a head gasket issue or unburned fuel.
Does the smoke clear up after warm up?
yes it clear up after warm up and starts right up the rest of the time i'm driving it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to Diesel Place. My 95' suburban with 230k miles does not like cold starts. A couple of things, both batteries need a full charge and battery cables need to be connected solidly. Second thing, if it is the slightest bit cold outside, the block heater needs to be plugged in. Either of those two items can make the difference in an easy cold start or a difficult one for my 6.5. Overly sensitive to cold starting? You bet.

Sent from my SM-S515DL using Tapatalk
it does it no matter what the temperature is

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
18,078 Posts
Did it happened after you put the new injectors?

·
Administrator
18,476 Posts
yes it clear up after warm up and starts right up the rest of the time i'm driving it.
What brand glow plugs did you install?
Did you inspect the glow plug wires for any issues?
Glow plug light comes on briefly when you turn the key?

·
Registered
140k 2000,gmc,k2500 380k 94 chev 1500 n/a
53 Posts
you can do a beep test(or ohm) with a multi meter from the load post of your GP relay to each of the GP's or pull each one remove the ceramic covers with small flathead there's a little tang that retains them and hit them each with a Dremel wire wheel, then bend each tang back up a little and the flat that makes contact with the GP terminal slide it back in the ceramic
each GP wire has a fusible link in it
my GP relay shows the wait light and you can hear a click when it comes on but the battery voltage doesn't really drop, had to install a manual GP controller/override relay.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Not really a full solution and more of a band-aid but it may be helpful for troubleshooting / drive-ability and a temporary fix if you need to drive the truck while you figure this out.
When I had my 93 with a 6.5 I had a momentary switched connected to the glow plug relay to help with starting. You hold the switch down and it heats the glow plugs, makes cold starts easier as well as 1/2 warm starts where the glow plugs don't come on and you have to crank for a while.

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
18,078 Posts
Did you put genuine Bosch Injector?
Did you try a KNOWN WORKING PMD?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts