Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1994 GMC 6.5L Naturally Aspirated Diesel K1500
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m trying to get the front cover off and stuck here do I need to remove this bearing thing where the injection pump gear sits? And how?

·
Administrator
18,984 Posts
Reactions: dieselolds

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
And the 3 nuts holding the injection pump on have to be removed.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Once you got the Pump gear off you're good..
On the bottom of the cover there should be 4 bolts that you remove to get the cover off.
Look at this post pic Timing Chain Replacement, water pump, turbo, fan upgrade.
View attachment 642612
After taking the front cover off, getting that dumb sensor out. Do I need to put RTV on the surface that connect from front cover to the block. Cause I know the timing cover to the front block has anaerobic sealant and gasket.

·
Administrator
18,984 Posts
After taking the front cover off, getting that dumb sensor out. Do I need to put RTV on the surface that connect from front cover to the block. Cause I know the timing cover to the front block has anaerobic sealant and gasket.
RTV on the cover to the block is fine. Be sure to use blue Loctite on the bolts that go through the cover into the waterpump

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,503 Posts
X2 on rtv.That’s what I’ve always used on those covers.Just a light skim of permatex ultra black does the job nicely.I never had a leak after doing so.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RTV on the cover to the block is fine. Be sure to use blue Loctite on the bolts that go through the cover into the waterpump
cool! how can i tell if i need to replace my timing set? When messing with the chain on the left side of the gears it seems tight where as on the right it has some slack. Should i just replace them no matter what, while im down there as a preventive maintenance?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cool! how can i tell if i need to replace my timing set? When messing with the chain on the left side of the gears it seems tight where as on the right it has some slack. Should i just replace them no matter what, while im down there as a preventive maintenance?
Also should i replace the Cps while i have everything taken apart or should i put in after putting it in all together?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[/
should i replace the whole timing set of just the chain?

·
Administrator
18,984 Posts
If your timing chain looks like this, replace it:

It would be a wise idea to change your timing set while you're in there to keep you from having to go back in there later down the road.
Age of the vehicle and mileage plays a factor..

·
Administrator
18,984 Posts
Also should i replace the Cps while i have everything taken apart or should i put in after putting it in all together?
A fresh AC/Delco CPS would be a good idea since it is accessible

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,503 Posts
While you have it all apart I’d go ahead and replace the full chain set and make sure to buy a new acdelco crankshaft sensor while you have the cover off.It’s a perfect time to do it.Also inspect your front balancer seal in the cover.If it looks tired and questionable I’d replace that as well.

When you remove the camshaft sprocket have a good look at the keyway on the camshaft.Sometimes these shear off partially which affects pump timing,etc.I myself personally haven’t had any problem with these keyways but just look it over good.Take a picture of the key way and we can have a look if you want.

Also torque down the camshaft bolt properly with loctite on the threads.Don’t use the 65 or 75 ft/lb spec.It will work loose.The spec should be 125.

Reactions: 56pan and OkDually

·
Administrator
18,984 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, replace the whole set. IIRC, Cloyes is the better set
Hey guys order all my parts, I received my chain set today. All looks good but the smaller piece has some oil on it/smell of oil and that like burn ring... is that normal? Is it a used thing or just part of there machining techniques? Also chain is in bag with oil.

my other parts will be in on Monday and Tuesday;
Front seal, AcDelco CPS, new oil cooler lines.

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,503 Posts
The bluish tint you see is just the induction hardness to increase strength,etc.Perfectly normal.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The bluish tint you see is just the induction hardness to increase strength,etc.Perfectly normal.

every time I go to break the cam Bolt loose I turn the gear with it and I can’t move it back to the top now

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,503 Posts
If your trying to get the bolt out I’d use the impact gun and spin it off.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Replaced the chain and gears when I was torquing the bolt back I went past the top where pump gears mark matched it, how do I move it back to the left 1 tooth it not moving at all for me

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
View attachment 643110 Replaced the chain and gears when I was torquing the bolt back I went past the top where pump gears mark matched it, how do I move it back to the left 1 tooth it not moving at all for me
could I put in the injection pump gear to match the other mark, so if it was turning they would meet in the middle

1 - 20 of 20 Posts