Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a question for anyone who has ever done the conversion or has knowledge of it when converting to a 6.5 turbo setup. I am going to be buying a system soon, and was curious how you guys ran the oil lines to and from the turbo. I havent quite figured out that one yet. I'm learning all I can before I get it. Any help would be appreciated.

***edited for clarity

·
Registered
877 Posts
6.5's used different oil cooler line sizes throughout the years. The early 6.5 blocks had the same size that the 6.2 had, so you can use the 6.2 cooler lines. The later (casting number ends in 506) will have 5/8" line connections at the block, and this will pose a problem in mounting it in a 6.2 vehicle w/o adapters.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sorry, I meant the oil lines for the turbo. Do those interact with the oil cooler lines??

·
Super Moderator
5,988 Posts
Just pick an oil galley and tap into it for your turbo feed, there are several to choose from. Use a good quality braided line. The oil line should be 1/4 npt on the block side, not sure on the turbo side.;)

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
The drain line from the turbo is easy, assuming you don't have or are willing to give up your mechanical supply pump. You will either have a pump there or a plate, and the return oil tube from any year 6.5 turbo (in a pickup) will bolt right up to the block and the turbo.

As far as oil supply, I think the best way would be teeing off the filterbase with braided line. Kind of a reach across the engine but I think thats your best bet.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oil pan

I was thinking of tapping the oil pan. another idea for the return is right into the pipe that you add oil.

Thanks D Cam. I'll start figuring out what best. I may just run it though my oil cooling lines too. Just a idea.

·
Registered
35 Posts
umm, beware...

I specifically remember reading something about not puttin oil into your motor while it is running. so, if you think that the return line could go into your "filler hole", shy away from it. on the stock motor there would be a line going from there to the intake, it probobly goes into the intake stream somewhere on a turbo'd motor as well. I'd be more inclined to look at the oil cooler lines as a return.

on a final note, if your lookin into different line sizes and those whatnots, you may find that the simplest solution is a hydraulics shop. they will have and will be able to find any and all solutions to fittings/lines/rubber high pressure lines/T's/elbow's. and all types of that nonsense. they will have a fitting you can weld into your oil pan (below the level of oil is suggested if I remember right)

having a hydrualics shop in town is nice. spendy usually, but nice.
good luck

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hey, thanks for the advice blacksmoke. Your probadly right. I may just use the oil cooler lines. I'm a good week or 2 from picking up a system. I have access to a Banks kit and a 6.5 setup, I'm just trying to decide what's the best system to use.

guipo

1 - 8 of 8 Posts