Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here have it? Also if anyone has the list of parts to make this work (brackets, bolts, etc) please post the part numbers.

I would like to install dual alternators on my 1994 but don't know if this is possible. Any help would be appreciated!!!

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Curious as to your desire for dual alt setup?

Need more power for ___________ . And how much power you need total? Dual alt is twice the mechanical stuff to drive, thus twice the amount of stuff to booger up.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
knkreb;1601673; said:
Curious as to your desire for dual alt setup?

Need more power for ___________ . And how much power you need total? Dual alt is twice the mechanical stuff to drive, thus twice the amount of stuff to booger up.
I work out of my truck at job sites. I need extra power for my power inverter to run tools and sometimes lugging around the generator in inconvenient.

Also I noticed that after about a week of driving in the low single digits, my batteries don't charge so good. I read somewhere that at 32 degrees F a battery will loose 40% of it's charging ability. I'm kinda hoping a dual alternator set up might help this out? But maybe I'm wrong about this :p

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
How much power are you going to be pulling?

Are you going to be letting it idle at the job site?

What size inverter you gonna be using?

What kind of batteries?

Dual alternator set up will help produce more power while engine is running. More power is available, and can help somewhat too depending upon what 'zactly you are doin'. You alt will put out x-amount of current at idle and x-amount at above idle RPM's. That current will be spent either in direct usage in devices (fans, inverters, lights etc) or it will serve as a battery charger.

Two different kinds of batteries are available. First is the type we use in the automotive world. The second is deep cycle batteries. So, how 'bout this idea. Mount a deep cycle battery (designed for that kind of service) to a hand cart (if it will fit your application) along with battery charger and inverter. Wheel it aound the job site, and charge as needed instead of running loud generator all day long. Easier on nerves, less mechanical upkeep (parts/oil/gas/wear on generator) Less wear on truck too.

Battery charging is a load on the alt, and can sap your alternator's power just to get the batts charged back up again.

Whatcha think?

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Dual alt attaching GM parts are now obslete .

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
how about 1 big alt instead of 2 standard duty alts?

I wouldn't want to plug in anything bigger than a drill or a sawzall.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
knkreb;1601753; said:
How much power are you going to be pulling?

Are you going to be letting it idle at the job site?

What size inverter you gonna be using?

What kind of batteries?

Dual alternator set up will help produce more power while engine is running. More power is available, and can help somewhat too depending upon what 'zactly you are doin'. You alt will put out x-amount of current at idle and x-amount at above idle RPM's. That current will be spent either in direct usage in devices (fans, inverters, lights etc) or it will serve as a battery charger.

Two different kinds of batteries are available. First is the type we use in the automotive world. The second is deep cycle batteries. So, how 'bout this idea. Mount a deep cycle battery (designed for that kind of service) to a hand cart (if it will fit your application) along with battery charger and inverter. Wheel it aound the job site, and charge as needed instead of running loud generator all day long. Easier on nerves, less mechanical upkeep (parts/oil/gas/wear on generator) Less wear on truck too.

Battery charging is a load on the alt, and can sap your alternator's power just to get the batts charged back up again.

Whatcha think?
I think this makes some sense, however, I am in the boonies and with the weather the way it is at times I want to get in and get out ASAP, if need be so I'd like to be able to "unplug and go". I understand that maybe the dual set up is overkill but I am all about practicality over "flash".

Maybe as joispoi said, a high output alternator might do the trick?

Anyone got a line on a good HO setup? Haven't ruled out the dual, just considering my options - would like to hear more feedback on the dual if anyone has it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
150 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
I can't remember the price, but i do remember them being very helpful when i called them.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Roger on the discontinued dual alt mounting parts.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Why not get a 140 amp. My Tahoe has a 140,std . equipment . sometimes I have two batteries but prefer on big one. I ran my frig for a 3 weeks when on the road this past summer. I had the refrig plugged into the inverter all the time for 3300 miles. Frig wouldnt stay lit on gas while moving.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts