Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has any one ever had a 1998 6.5 run away, shut the key off and all is normal, will it ever happen again

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
PMD failure

Reactions: VanBoy

·
Just Horsing Around
17,557 Posts
Or broken armature in the IP...

Reactions: VanBoy

·
Registered
72 Posts
PMD failure
X2

I hear this is a form of PMD failure and the truck will rev until the fuel shut off solenoid kicks in and cuts fuel out to stall the engine.

·
Just Horsing Around
17,557 Posts
Usually PMD related failures result in momentary runaway though, not a constant "as long as the key is on" runaway.

Third option is turbo failure, but turning the key off wouldn't have stopped the engine. ;)

·
Just Horsing Around
17,557 Posts
Usually PMD related failures result in momentary runaway though, not a constant "as long as the key is on" runaway.

Third option is turbo failure, but turning the key off wouldn't have stopped the engine. ;)

·
Super Moderator A Country Boy Can Survive...
14,350 Posts
Busted armature in the IP is the #1 cause.

2nd cause would be a bad D-tech PMD. If the PMD is original, then it's not a Dtech. The Stanadyne PMDs didn't do this for some reason.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If the injection pump had a busted armeture, would it do all the time. I was leaning on the pmd, I have it remote mounted to a heat sink on the firewall, The pmd is mounted upside down, maybe that is bad

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
17,825 Posts
Is that a DTech/FlightSystem PMD???

If it is inside the hood, it is still hot. Even outside PMD will still fail. Inside will be faster.

Only way to know is to put a known working PMD and see if the symptoms come back.

Also make sure the Fuel Filter is clean.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Armature Pin, game over new IP..............

And no, it would not necessairly run-a-way all the time. Mine shook violently for awhile, then I gave it some gas on the lift and the engine took off.

Reactions: jrsavoie

·
Registered
5,183 Posts

And no, it would not necessairly run-a-way all the time. Mine shook violently for awhile, then I gave it some gas on the lift and the engine took off.
Explain please.
only pin i know on the armature is a key that times the gear hub up front and a small key securing the transfer pump to the shaft.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Busted armature in the IP is the #1 cause.

2nd cause would be a bad D-tech PMD. If the PMD is original, then it's not a Dtech. The Stanadyne PMDs didn't do this for some reason.
Dave,
Stanadyne's did do it, mine did.

Cheers
Nobby

·
Forum Troll
5,969 Posts
If it';s a Flight Systems PMD, I would go after that 1st otherwise pretty much what everyone else said.

·
Forum Troll
5,969 Posts

Well giving it gas tends to do that, it's a diesel...:hehe:

Reactions: ericautos

·
Registered
514 Posts
The armature pin controls the fuel flow rate. When it breaks or gets stuck, diesel dumps into the engine, thus causing a runaway. The armature pin cannot be fixed, thus causing a need to replace the IP.

Source: Columbus Diesel Supply.

Touche sir, touche.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
The armature pin controls the fuel flow rate. When it breaks or gets stuck, diesel dumps into the engine, thus causing a runaway. The armature pin cannot be fixed, thus causing a need to replace the IP.

Source: Columbus Diesel Supply.

Touche sir, touche.
Where is that mystery pin located?

·
Registered
514 Posts
it is on the back of the IP closest to the firewall. Prime everything, try to srart it again. If it does not start or it does and shakes, or takes off again while hitting the gas in park, it is the armature pin no more questions need be asked.

The guys at CDS bascially gave me a masters degree in IPs from how they work to trouble shooting. Thats how most things go with my truck, I know how they work and understand the mechanics but do not attempt to fix.

·
Just Horsing Around
17,557 Posts
Maybe Bison would be willing to repost all his attachments in a thread over here as none of them in that thread are viewable by non members. ;)

·
Registered
514 Posts
I wouldn't be able to tell till now. Yesterday's post I was well lets just say under the influence, and today's I just woke up:help2::help2:

1 - 20 of 92 Posts