Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have been reading up a lot on the post here and have hoping to find a solution to the reason why my 6.5 won’t start. Long story but I had the 6.2 in it and put the 6.5 and it’s been running good for a few years.I decided to re-wire the whole truck. It’s a wiring harness from painless. I have everything wired in correctly, to my knowledge but the truck won’t start. It cranks but it won’t turn over. I have the duel diesel tanks on it and the old style square filter on it. I’m assuming it’s a fuel problem. I’m at a stopping point and don’t know where else to look to try and get this thing started. If anyone has an idea plz let me know. Thanks,

Tyler

·
Administrator
18,674 Posts
Welcome to DieselPlace
Please tell us about the vehicle ( Year, Make, and Model ) and list any mods.

Reactions: Tpatton

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to DieselPlace
Please tell us about the vehicle ( Year, Make, and Model ) and list any mods.
It’s a 1984 Chevy k-20 and there is no mods. And it also has no turbo.

·
Administrator
18,674 Posts
It’s a 1984 Chevy k-20 and there is no mods. And it also has no turbo.
Do you have an electric lift pump or the mechanical fuel pump?

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
There's only 2 wires to the pump and you only need 1 to run, the one towards the front of the pump should be hot 12v with key on and the second one is a cold advance so it should get hot when the engine is very cold.
If you changed the wiring and not the plumbing, I would check that first.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There's only 2 wires to the pump and you only need 1 to run, the one towards the front of the pump should be hot 12v with key on and the second one is a cold advance so it should get hot when the engine is very cold.
If you changed the wiring and not the plumbing, I would check that first.
I have looked at that. And I do have a 12v source to it when the key is on.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
OK, good, there is an air bleed on top of the filter base, should be steady fuel while cranking.
Also loosen all drivers side high pressure lines at the injectors, crank for about 10 seconds and see if they get wet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, good, there is an air bleed on top of the filter base, should be steady fuel while cranking.
Also loosen all drivers side high pressure lines at the injectors, crank for about 10 seconds and see if they get wet.
They do, fuel is coming out of them and it does have pressure. I’m just not sure if it is enough pressure or not.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
OK, if there's fuel at the injectors you're almost there. Any exhaust smoke? That would be a sign that the injectors are delivering fuel but it's not burning, maybe glow plugs aren't getting hot or cranking speed is too slow.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, if there's fuel at the injectors you're almost there. Any exhaust smoke? That would be a sign that the injectors are delivering fuel but it's not burning, maybe glow plugs aren't getting hot or cranking speed is too slow.
No. No white smoke that I know of. The glow plugs should be getting hot enough. I have checked them. They are burning hot. And how to you change the cranking speed?

·
Administrator
18,674 Posts
No. No white smoke that I know of. The glow plugs should be getting hot enough. I have checked them. They are burning hot. And how to you change the cranking speed?
Make sure that your batteries are individually load tested and fully charged

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Batteries, starter, cables and connections pretty much all there is to cranking speed. 150rpm is minimum. Have you tried a little brake cleaner or gas rag in the intake?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts