Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm posting a ?? for my Dad, since he has no pc.(And I can't seem to get to the 6.5 diesel page)

1997 Chevy 3/4 ton 6.5 turbo diesel. seems to be going thru glow plugs. He replaced the plugs about a year ago (low miles too) and they seem to need replacing again, He pulled the old plugs and did the OHM test on them. thet seem to read out O.K. But truck won't start. he put new plugs in and the truck starts. (two years ago this happened also) Now he's at that point again....any suggestions??

Thanks in advance!!-Jammer

·
Registered
663 Posts
What brand of Glow plugs is he using? IIRC, the 97s came with AC 11G's but last I knew the latest AC PN was 60G. I also remember hearing that the after market brands didn't last as long but John Kennedy had a good replacement..

·
Registered
15 Posts
energize the glow plugs with a battery charger and read the amps that it draws low/no amps needs replacing.do not test over 30 seconds.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have been told how to check glow plugs. You can take the wire off of them and hook a 12 volt test light to the positive battery terminal. Leave the ignition switch in the off position. When you put the test light on the end of the glow plug where the wire hooks to the glow plug should not light up. If the glow plug lights up it needs replaced. It is shorted out or burned out. Give that a try...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Glow plugs should read about 1-3 ohms on a voltmeter.

They should be shorted to draw current. If they are open or higher resistance they are bad.

Try and replace all 8 at a time. They seem to last longer that way.

Nasty

1 - 5 of 5 Posts