Diesel Place banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I'm new to this place so don't give me too hard of a time, but I've got a problem with a '96 6.5 Detroit, we just rebuilt it this spring with I believe high quality parts at least most of them, and have been testing it ever since. It gave us problems one time with a broken ground wire but we fixed that. And then just last week when I was driving home I was slowing down for a stop and it died, I looked at everything I could imagine including putting on a spare PMD, and it still won't start, and when I turn it over it makes popping sounds. Anyway any help would be very much appreciated. Dave

·
Administrator
19,363 Posts
Welcome to DieselPlace

Please tell us a little more about your 6.5L ( Make, Model ) and list any mods.
(y)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well it's a 96 K3500 Chevy Cheyenne crew cab 4x4. We bored it .40 over, we also deleted the vacuum pump for the turbo and put a manual spring and adjusted it to about 12 lbs boost right now. Actually the engine is a 95 but we put all the lift pump injection pump etc. Over from the 96 engine, we also put a 4 in dymond eye exhaust on, oh yeah and one other thing we upgraded the water pump and the fan in the front can't think of the name right now. That's all I can think of right now.

·
Administrator
19,363 Posts
Reactions: truckr65

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
Popping really sounds like a fuel delivery issue. If its got fuel its got air in it. Likely a leak somewhere letting it suck air so its not getting enough fuel and what its getting has air in it which doesn't work at all for a diesel. A clear line on the return off the top of the inection pump should give you some clues. Having a big big bubble that just kinda hangs out in that like isn't unusual but if you have any sort of constant flow of bubbles there you have a problem. You should get some flow there during cranking. I'm not positive about the DS4 (the electronic pump we are dealing with here) but a DB2 pump won't run if the return is restricted so if you don't seem to be getting a flow try running that line into a container rather to the return rail.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
About the lift pump test it does not at all sound like it is for a 96 Chevy and it was for a running truck, this truck does not run. I also thought the lift pump for my truck is located there on the back of the intake manifold, and the way to test was to open that cap on the top and turn on the ignition.

Attachments

·
Administrator
19,363 Posts
About the lift pump test it does not at all sound like it is for a 96 Chevy and it was for a running truck, this truck does not run. I also thought the lift pump for my truck is located there on the back of the intake manifold, and the way to test was to open that cap on the top and turn on the ignition.
That is your fuel filter manager in the picture. Not a lift pump..
The lift pump is located under the driver's door, on the inside of the frame rail

You need to apply 12v using a jumper wire to the lift pump relay as shown here: Question: - Help...Fuel pressure drops after several...
This will manually run the lift pump.

Next, open the T Valve located up by the oil fill cap. This will allow fuel to flow through the drain from the Filter manager. Use a clear container to catch the fuel.
You should see 1/2 pint of fuel from the drain line in 15 seconds. Anything less than that replace the lift pump

Reactions: dieselolds

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
On a 96 truck your lift pump should run as soon as the key is turned to the on position. If you do not hear the LP running when key is turned to on. You have a problem with the pump or relay.

Reactions: dieselolds

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can hear the LP when I turn the ignition to the on position I also opened the T valve with the pump on and came out with pressure I did not however do the 1/2 pint deal so don't know about that. And I try to scan for codes here pretty soon...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts