Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
G’day all,
I’ve got a 6.5 optimiser with a db2 pump, currently running an eBay GTX3582R gen 2 @ 16psi with standard turbo injectors and standard cam. I want to run a bit of an experiment and compound turbo it, using the current turbo as the smaller, high pressure turbo, and I was thinking for the big low pressure turbo go for a Borg Warner S475.
What im not sure about is the sizing of the 475, I’m currently looking at one with the 83mm turbine 1.10a/r T4 flanged model, but a lot of the 6bt kits that I’m seeing are running the bigger 1.32a/r T6 flanged 87mm turbine or bigger, I’m not full quid on turbo sizings to suit application and I’m in Australia where literally no one wants to even know about 6.5s so I can’t even get advice on it.
Before anyone says, yes I know compound setups can be quite difficult to set up and there’s a lot of fab involved but that’s not a problem for me, and I’m pretty set in the decision of giving compounds a go.
I also know that I’m likely gonna need to make custom manifolds as well to make room for the other turbo, again, not an issue, I know a pretty good fabby.
I also plan on throwing a heath HT4 cam at it, marine injectors a water/meth injection kit and head studs at it as well while I’m at it, an also obviously a large intercooler.
Also for boost control, I run a 38mm external gate currently, will that be enough to control about 25psi with compounds or will I need another gate between the two turbos or a just a bigger gate
I’m not chasing silly horsepower, I’m just curious to see if I could get it to work, it’s not something you really see anyone doing, if anyone knows how I can get this working or has any advice on sizing please let me know, let me know any ideas too
cheers

·
Administrator
15,985 Posts
Welcome to DieselPlace
There are quite a few 6.5L Aussies here in the forum
(y)

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I can't really help you with your turbo sizing but I sure would like to see that turbo manifold that mounted on the left side of the engine. One of yours and one of ours would be a good start on a twin turbo setup.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't really help you with your turbo sizing but I sure would like to see that turbo manifold that mounted on the left side of the engine. One of yours and one of ours would be a good start on a twin turbo setup.
it’s a custom cast manifold from Dewars Performance Engines here in Australia, they get used to put 6.2s and 6.5s in Nissan patrols, which is a fairly common swap here.
i can’t use the standard RH manifold because of my brake booster and batteries

That’s it there, I’ve no doubt they could ship to the states if you contacted them

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How is that running for you? What is response like? Also, have you gotten anywhere with the compound experiment?
The response out of the 3582 is ok I suppose, I’ve been playing with transfer pump pressures and flow rates, I had a carter gold on it and had to change it out cos it failed and threw on a totally inadequate but available at the time, 7psi 95LPH dugga dugga pump and for some reason the response got better, no idea why, so I’m getting a fass pump for it and a pressure regulator and stuff around with that.
As for the compounds I want to get my engine squared away, next month we’re putting the HT4 cam, headstuds and marine injectors in and the next job after that is compounds, I’m still a bit hazy on what set to use, my gut feeling at the moment is to go with a smaller set and again, copy a proven cummins set up, and I want to try a borgwarner k27 with an S369sxe, somehow I don’t think this motor will ever spool an S475.

·
Registered
17 Posts
10-4. I'm thinking of trying a dual ball bearing billet wheel water-cooled 3576 or possibly a 3076. I want immediate response but I might end up having to add a big turbo to get some top end out of it. I will have scat crank, new standard compression pistons, main studs, head studs, fire rings, ported heads, possibly intercooler, for sure water/meth injection, probably new Bosch injectors, (standard) and a bull moose pump. Will also have a 6l90 behind it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Upon a little more research though a 3076 might not get me any further than a stock gm8
Give a Borg Warner K27 a crack, they apparently supersede the HX35 and apparently are praised for their response

1 - 9 of 9 Posts