Diesel Place banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I relocated my PMD on my 99 GMC Savana, 3500. It still didn't run very well, my mechanic friend advised me to chuck the $40 one I got off eBay, and get a proper Stanadyne PMD. So I did, and I bought a #9 resistor to go with it.
I've since learned that it might just need help reading the resistor. But I figured I might as well put in the quality PMD anyway since I have it. The resistor doesn't fit in the slot where it's supposed to go. I had to shave down the ends to make it fit. And it still seems that the teeth on the Stanadyne are too big to fit through the holes of the resistor. Has anybody had this experience? Do I just jam it in there? Is it the wrong PMD? The wrong resistor? They were labeled for my specific truck where I ordered both of them. Thanks. :)

·
Administrator
19,980 Posts
Welcome to DieselPlace

This may help you

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
This shows the difference.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1995 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 6.5 TD
491 Posts
I first install the resistor on top of the male pins in the PMD oriented correctly.
The place the female plug into the PMD male connector and push it should snap into place.
That is how I do it. My $0.02

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Even more info.
I could not find it earlier.

Attachments

Reactions: Dadddyoh

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
18,228 Posts
Also, please check if there is an existing resistor in there.
If there is, you cannot put another one.

If that is not the case, then you have to read about the key/notch in the different PMD.
Shave the key but be careful when you put it into the PMD, it still have to short the same 2 pins inside the PMD connector.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I shaved the tabs off the ends of the resistor. But the metal tines of the PMD will still not fit through the holes. Do I just jam it on there? I don't want to damage the times on this expensive PMD.
Have you found that you have to push pretty hard to get the resistor on the first time?

·
Administrator
19,980 Posts
Well I shaved the tabs off the ends of the resistor. But the metal tines of the PMD will still not fit through the holes. Do I just jam it on there? I don't want to damage the times on this expensive PMD.
Have you found that you have to push pretty hard to get the resistor on the first time?
Drop the resistor down on the pins. Grab a pencil and use the eraser end to gently push the resistor snug. Then reconnect the harness to the PMD.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
The 2 resistor connectors that go over the PMD pins are like a chinese finger trick. Make sure the little “fingers” are not bent and that there is a visible hole for the pins to go through. A magnifying glass will help.
You can use a 1mm diameter pin, a # 62 index drill or an 18ga. piece of wire to pre-fit or adjust the resistor. A large safety pin will work, just don’t over do it.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Drop the resistor down on the pins. Grab a pencil and use the eraser end to gently push the resistor snug. Then reconnect the harness to the PMD.
That's what I was trying to do. And I did that with my old one. But the pins seem to be too fat to fit through the holes. Like, I would have to push pretty hard to get it to slide all the way down. Just wondering if anybody has experienced this kind of resistance before...

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
18,228 Posts
It will be tight. Otherwise, the resistor will slip out.

·
Premium Member
1995 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 6.5 TD
491 Posts
It all about the connection, line up the pins in the holes of the resistor. Put the plug into the connector and push.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts