Diesel Place banner

6.2L turbo

8K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  legendman 
#1 ·
I have a 6.2L diesel 86 K20 that I am restoring. Does anyone know where I can get a sidewinder turbo kit? Used or new? Is there anyone else making turbo kits?

#2 ·
Welcome to DieselPlace
Used sources:
car-part.com for yards near you that may have the part
Local Craigslist and FB marketplace ads

Reactions: Jim 86-6.2
#4 ·
They are no longer available even if he does order it you'll get a refund. Banks Discontinued them a few months ago. Everyone Is scurrying to get there hands on em and the Manifolds/Piping etc. Some say the ATS Turbo kit was better designed and made more power! (which i like them more too) just very hard to come-by.

2nd best option for him is a 6.5 DIY Swap. But then you will have to Modify the A/C Box with a S10 one. As the Turbo does not clear it. @Jim 86-6.2

Reactions: Jim 86-6.2
#7 ·
Thanks for the help. Banks puts you in a really long hold to talk to someone and they dont respond to emails about if I can get one. ATS isnt selling their kit either. I really want to keep my engine. I have had this truck for 30 years. Going on my second restoration on it. I will scour ebay and craigslist for parts I guess. It deserves a new one, but I will scrounge parts if thats what it takes!

#10 ·
Good to know! I will pass this onto my FB group. As for turbo parts i would try Car-Part.com shows listings of all Salvage yards in the U.S maybe you can find something. eBay will probably be Dry! That's really cool you've had it for over 30 yrs. What's it look like?

#11 ·
Ill check out car-part.com. Thanks for that. What is the FB page you have? I would like to follow that. Here is a photo. I am in the process of rebuilding the front end and installing new brakes all the way around. Radiator will be going to the radiator shop for a new core, and then it gets a transmission overhaul. Originally had a T400 but I installed a 700R4 about 20 years ago. Its time to clean it up stem to stern. LMC seems like the place for repro stuff, and Summit has AC Delco parts. Any advice from anyone on parts and resources feel free to chime in. Body work and paint will be last. It was blue and grey. It matches my 1981 Cobalt. Really glad I kept these old vehicle all these years. Automotive parking light Tire Car Wheel Vehicle

#17 ·
Ill check out car-part.com. Thanks for that. What is the FB page you have? I
Here is the farcebook group, couple members from here are on there.
I don't go too often myself

Also keep checking farcebook marketplace, I have a Banks setup pop up recently and even saw the ATS setup not too long ago in the New England area.

Not sure how original you are looking to keep your truck but I would go with the modified heater box and a 6.5 setup just because of the availability of parts.

#15 ·
Hi,
i just would like to give you a good advice: Don't take a 700R4!!! I have the 6.2l with a Banks sidewinder turbo, which means that you have then about 510 Newtonmeters torque coming out of your engine and thats by far too mutch for the 700R4. The 700r4 can only withstand up to about 400 Nm of torque!

I made personaly the experience that it will destroy the transmission. So 6 years ago i was in the same situation like you and i decided also for a 700r4. The transmission failed 3 times in a row and everytime i assembled better and stronger parts in the transmission and it continued to fail! After nearly $8000 later i give it up! Because the transmission is simply not made for that power.

If you like to have a good decision for the future then you have two possibilities. The cheap variant is to assemble a 3L80 (TH400) with a axle ratio of 3.73 or 3.42 and you save also lots of fuel.

The most exclusive variant in my eyes is the 4L80e! So after all my bad experiences i made with the 700r4, i decided for a 4L80e (year 2009 with all the updates) and a TCM (transmission control module) from a HMMWV A2 version. Since 3 years i drive now everyday without problems and i don't regret my decision.

Reactions: Texas Diesel Guy
#13 ·
The 700R4 is awesome. I have 4.10 differential ratios and the extra gear really lowered the RPM and cab noise, and improved my mileage from 16 to 21 MPG. First gear seams a bit lower as well. The column needs a new shift gate to deal with the overdrive position. But I think a turbo and a good sturdy 700R4 will make the truck usable for me until they bury me in it. Monster transmissions (Welcome to Monster Transmission | We Build More Than Transmissions, We Build Relationships) promotes their transmissions as super durable and mentions using them on diesels but I imagine ATS would be good too. I bough mine from Kragen 20 years back but plan to get a nice purpose built overhaul. Any input is welcome if anyone has experience with a trans shop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.