Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!
I have a problem with my 82 GMC Truck. At idle I have a pretty good amount of smoke (white-ish in color and smells like fuel) coming from the passenger side exhaust. I changed injectors on that side and it didn't seem to help. At higher speeds it is not noticiable, but comes back slowly at idle. Any ideas on where to go from here?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Check for fuel leaks on the side you changed. Along the return lines, and the injector lines.

Does it start okay?

Some smoke at idle this time of year is normal if you are in cold climates, the air just too cold to keep the combustion temps warm enough to prevent it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It seems to start ok. I just went through the entire glow plug system. Would the cold weather cause it to only smoke on one side? I will check the lines out. So far I haven't seen any visible leaks. But, then again, I wasn't really looking for them. Thanks

·
Registered
124 Posts
If an injector line, not a return line is leaking just a little it will cause smoke, but not interfear with starting.

No usually cold temps won't just affect one side. I suppose it could be a valve guide, or a piston pumping a little oil. Either way don't worry about it too much it really isn't going to hurt anything.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well,
No leaks that I can find. Guess I'll be lookin into the valve situation when I can. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
421 Posts
I wonder it it could be one or two cylenders on that side are a littl low on compression? Perhaps just low enough that you dont get ignition at idle?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yes it could be. It's not that they are not firing, they are just not burning all the fuel at the proper temp.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts