Diesel Place banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, time to pop my cherry on the 6.2L.

I'm not new to diesels, but I have never worked on the older GM stuff before.

I have an 86 Blazer that the previous owner ran out of oil and siezed it. I got another running 6.2L outta of the deal (all for $500).

I'm going to put new gaskets on the engine after cleaning it up and I'm going to remove the EGR stuff.

Aside from that, is there anything else I should do while the engine is out?

Keep in mine that this is a low $$ build, so I'm not going to spend lots of money for parts on this thing. The bottom end griddle looks nice, but $200 isn't going to happen.

I got some almost new Pro Comp 35" tires for $200. Going to put some rear springs on the front end and do a shackle flip on the rear. Throw a mini spool in the 12 bolt rear (came from another truck) and it'll be a light duty off roader. For under $1000. :) I hope!

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
take a good look at the soft plugs in the block if you see corrosion now is the time to change them . they are cheap. also check glow plugs one at a time to see if they go to ground and have continuity in them. does the starter have the front bracket on there. how much end play in the crank. if the front or rear main is leaking alot of times its the crank walking forwards and back.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Consider a new water pump. They are cheap and easy to put in with the engine out - but a PITA to put in with the engine installed. They also wear out eventually...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts