Diesel Place banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
When it rains it pours. I replaced my starter yesterday. That was preceded by a thorough engine clean and subsequent drying.
I did have the starter tested at the store and all was good. However, when I turn the ignition on, the voltage is really low at the meter in the car and I can barely start. Voltage measured at the batteries is 12.5V both connected and disconnected. With the engine running both batteries show 14.5V. There's a 10-20 mA draw with the ignition off. With the ignition on there seems to be a .5A draw. The weird thing to me is that it looks like something is drawing immediately after I turn the engine and ignition off. At one point I measured 3.5A. This current eventually tapers off to 10-20mA. Not sure if this is normal.

I'm electrically challenged, so any clues are as usually greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
As long as you can get back to 10 to 20 miliamps within 15 minutes or so, yu are doing just fine. And of course, the quicker you get past that 3.5 amp draw, the better off you are. I think you might benefit from doing voltage drop testing. See you tube videos about this posted by South Main Auto. At a minimum, remove, and clean with a wire brush both battery terminals, both ends, and the cable from the alternator to the battery.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts