Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any company out there make a good set of headers for a 6.2L?

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I got some HMMWV manifolds of Ebay for $59 yesterday I will see how much of an improvement they make.

If I had tons of cash lying around I would go with those headers from Stans but they still dont seem worth the money to me.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know they are military rigs, but what do CUCV and HMMWV stand for? Didn't some of the military stuff have a high-rise intake on it to?

·
Registered
130 Posts
CUCV means Commercial Utility Cargo Vehicle. there were two styles: the M1008 (pickup) and the M1009 (blazer)
HMMWV means High Mobility Multi-purpose Wheeled Vehicle, also called an "M998"

i don't know if any came with a "high rise" intake. some of the hummer IP pumps came with higher flow rates though

·
Registered
226 Posts
take a good look at stans header. well built and good guy. Probably last set you'll have to buy

·
Registered
97 Posts
NO the 6.2l diesel engines used in the m-1010,m-1009&hmmv did NOT use High intakes they have standard C-code intakes.

I did 4 years as a 63w wheeled vehical mechanic and never seen a HIGH RISE INTAKE ? and to be honest I don't see how it would help as the reason for one it to give the fuel air mixture longer to mix?

The 6.2l injects fuel in to the pre cup where it is mixed with the air.
The only thing going thru the intake is AIR so about the only thing that COULD help is a good port and polish for better flo.

Just My Two Chunks of Copper rubbing together

Chuck

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Port and Polish helps just about any vehicle. If I ever rebuild my 6.2 im going to have it all ported and polished just for the added flow.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
CHARLEYMARBLES;1581737; said:
NO the 6.2l diesel engines used in the m-1010,m-1009&hmmv did NOT use High intakes they have standard C-code intakes.

I did 4 years as a 63w wheeled vehical mechanic and never seen a HIGH RISE INTAKE ? and to be honest I don't see how it would help as the reason for one it to give the fuel air mixture longer to mix?

The 6.2l injects fuel in to the pre cup where it is mixed with the air.
The only thing going thru the intake is AIR so about the only thing that COULD help is a good port and polish for better flo.
I think you mean that they had standard J-code manifolds... Military vehicles were exempt from emissions requirements and had no EGR or EPR systems so the J-code manifold would be the one they used. Also, I think they are talking about snorkel-type stuff that keeps the intake up high out of the water, not the intake risers like you might see on a gasser to raise the throttle body up from the intake. :)

You are right... Porting and polishing helps improve airflow quite a bit and would probably be a good idea on a high performance engine.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Im going to build a snorkel for my rig. I went through some deep mud puddles today and it was getting pretty close to where the intake inlet is on the grill.

·
Registered
269 Posts

lol

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
the 6.5 turbo intake bolts up to the 6.2? Thats pretty sweet.

·
Registered
130 Posts
yup, you can actually retrofit a 6.5 turbo on to a 6.2...pretty easy till you get to the downpipe :D

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I knew about the turbo swap but figured i would have to make a custom intake for the turbo. Think im going to have to find a 6.5td intake to build my snorkel seems like the best route for now. still leaves me room to turbo later if I feel like it. Ill make my snorkel adaptable to the turbo.

·
Registered
446 Posts
there is a set of hummer manifolds on ebay... item # 160084330725

·
Registered
130 Posts
i know, i have been watching that set waiting for paypal to finish a transfer so i can swoop on them. :D

·
Registered
97 Posts
High Sierra 2500;1583421; said:
I think you mean that they had standard J-code manifolds... Military vehicles were exempt from emissions requirements and had no EGR or EPR systems so the J-code manifold would be the one they used. Also, I think they are talking about snorkel-type stuff that keeps the intake up high out of the water, not the intake risers like you might see on a gasser to raise the throttle body up from the intake. :)

You are right... Porting and polishing helps improve airflow quite a bit and would probably be a good idea on a high performance engine.
Yes HS I did say that backwards and you ARE correct It is the J-code:eek::

And the snorkel's are only half of the deep water fording kit as it is called,but the snorkel is just a additional length of tube to elevate the air intake port. Usualy around the top right corner of the windshield. However they are near useless without the EXHOUST snorkel to get the Exhoust above the water too. Otherwise soon as you let off the juice you risk killing your engine.

Chuck

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Thats my next issue. Usually when I go into a deep mud hole I just power through it so I don't get stuck but eventually I will probably get stuck so I'm thinking how I'm going to move the exhaust up out of the water with out it looking to corny. If I had a regular truck I could have it go up through the bed like a semi but since I have a K5 that isn't a reasonable option.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts