Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to find an option for my 1987 6.2L engine , I Know a 6.5 will bolt right in for 6,000.00 but what do you think of a 350 with small chamber head's or ??

I pull a 24 foot flat deck with 12-14k pound's & my 24 foot travel trailer , its a 3500 Id like something that bolt's right in , reliable I dont care if it's fast but would like good torque

Gene GritnerEdited by: Petrols

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you need to replace the motor because it is shot or something then why not a new (rebuilt) 6.2??

·
Registered
46 Posts
I pull a 30' gooseneck trailer loaded with 16k LBS. and I've got a mechanical 6.5 under the hood and 4:10 gear ratios...thats where your torque is, if I put it in four low(even when im loaded down to max, i dont need to use the throttle at all, I just let it drive itself while I unload the weight.... in other words, youve got plenty of torque with a 6.2/mechanical 6.5 its just a matter of gettin up to speed with the load.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the problem with the 6.2L is it's to light , the 6.5L has 200-250 pounds of extra meat in the bottom end , I wouldn't put another 6.2L in my truck , gm does not make the 6.2L anymore anyways , I had over 6K canadian reebuilding the 6.2L in there , the 6.5L bolt's right in , the head's are even the same , I have been thinking of putting a 454 in , much cheaper in the diesel , the best i have done on a 6.5L long block (NEW)is 8300.00 canadian no core, the New 454 is around 6500.00 canadian no core , that get's me away from the expencive diesel.

any out there put a 454 in place of the diesel ?
I'm told it bolt's right in with very little changing .

Doug Gritner
Alexis Creek Tire & Mechanical

·
Registered
46 Posts
The gasser may be cheaper right off the bat, but the diesel will save you cash in the long run. It will save you cash at the pump and when you are pulling those trailers, I guy i work with said he was pulling a pretty good load with his 454 and was getting about 5.5 MPG and less, you will def. save in fuel eventually the diesel will pay for itself if your comapring to a gasser

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
savvy-R,

problem is i had over 6K in the 6.2 , everything was new , i had it line bored , there is just to much to list ,now i need an engine the 6.5L I hear is no better I have had 4 blown up ones in my shop alone , the people serviced the crap out of them , 3K Mile oil changes , if they ever needed anything they got brand new , one customer even had the timing checked ever 8-10 months .
and yet i end up with a scrambled pile of junk to put a new engine in . ya I have seen the 6.5L go 450K-KMS or 300K Miles but i have seen a new 454 do 400K-KMS or 250K Miles and only need ring's and gasket's and go another x # of miles , fuel pump for a 454 60.00 a pump for a 6.5L 350.00 , re ring kit for a 454 200.00 , re ring kit for a 6.5 500.00 , you can sport a 454 easyier then a 6.5 , ya gas might be more expencive but Diesel's are very expencive to fix - 25-40% more to off set the gas bills .
Diesel's are great for the L-o-n-g haul but ever wonder why your diesel dont do so well in the city ? there not stop and goers I have seen friends go out and blow 40K on a new dodge duelly give it to his wife and she city drives it , it gets 12 miles to the gallon or less, the engine does not do well for over all final miles and then they think a cummin's is a pile of junk , i have alway's thought take dodge's engine , gms body and take the ford to a scrap pile to make more beer can's.

i would drop a used cummin's(early date) in for 3500.00 but the head ache of trying to figure out how to make it go would off set the 1,000,000.00 mile engine , I want to see what the Duramax does except it would be worse trying to get all the computer controled crap off or make it work .

I have many more days before this truck get's an engine
maybe ill tell you about my other temp replacer in a later post

Doug Gritner

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Doug,

Those 6.5s that failed were they early models, I think a properly set up 6.5 late model AM General block like is in current Humvees will give plenty of service (add IC and some other bells and whistles see my sig below for a little more power), that would be easiest route IMO, but a Cummins if you want to work out all the kinks ain't a bad option either.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Forum ,

well my current project just because i cant afford to put a new engine in my gm is fixing a found on road dead f250-4x4-300 6cyl , I had it listed in the local paper's for 900.00 , i had so much interest i thought i would fix it up , i ploped the box off , replaced the rear gas tank, built a break line, the front gas tank the pump is gone , but the truck i bought has one , also has a good front clip , box , transfercase , engine is a 300-6 but the exhaust manifold is gone , thransmission stic is in the back and the person who stole the cab never blocked the hole , but hey i got 4 good used tires and the cab at wrecking company's is worth 2K .

even thou i have no use for found on road dead's i hate not havin a set of wheel's at my beaken call .
besides im losing money not having wheel's .

I Plan on having my GMC back on the road in the fall

Doug Gritner
Alexis Creek Tire & Mechanical

1 - 9 of 9 Posts