Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off let me say, I know NOTHING about a diesel !! and I am new to this site & signed up to try to figure out issue I am having with a dump truck I recently purchased. I knew it had issues before i got it but I got a good deal in it so.... main issue is....

The truck will crank up & idle great!! Idle ALL DAY Long if needed... BUt Once you rev up the engine ANY...it dies!!! ....cranks & idles back easily! try to rev it up and keep it running & you can BUT, it acts like it's not taking fuel right.. it takes a few seconds to accelerate then it acts like it revs up high (maybe like a delayed reaction?). if needed I can get a video showing what it's doing (if that would help)

I have been looking on this site to try to find something that matches what I am experiencing (and will still continue to) but so far I haven't came across anything

I have changed the fuel filter thinking that might help it
Could it be the IP ?

Any advise ,thoughts,etc?

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Is there any smoke when you try to rev? Install a clear line on the return on the IP to the steel return line on the front of the motor.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Still have mechanical fuel pump? Oil smell like diesel? Sounds like fuel delivery issue. I think it has 2 fuel filters. You stated changing one.
Like jdf915 said. Does it smoke when you give it fuel?

·
Registered
176 Posts
A 87 SHOULD have the square box filter. Have you checked your filter and bleed valves (while it's running)? The top one is fuel and bottom is water. If you have the equipment you should check your fuel pump located at the front/bottom/passenger side of the engine. A electric pump (added after market by a PO) should be located near the fuel tank inside the frame rails with a filter befor it, check that filter if there.

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,754 Posts
If you do have the model 80 filter setup, take out this bleeder, crank it over...
Fuel should shoot out and hit the hood.... good test to tell if lift pump is working.

·
Let's take the Truck!
5,651 Posts
If you do have the model 80 filter setup, take out this bleeder, crank it over...
Fuel should shoot out and hit the hood.... good test to tell if lift pump is working.

You wish this was your engine bay:HiHi:

·
Let's take the Truck!
5,651 Posts
You only have one filter stanadyne model 80 box. You are surely getting air. Did you just buy the truck or this problem quickly come about? Im saying Dont buy an injection pump. You will need to troubleshoot this problem. Start with 1/4 id clear line off the ip return. There is probably a black hose there now its about 4" long and easy to replace. This will show air. I would put a fp gauge on it for testing. Monitor the pressure at idle and while revving if it quickly falls flat when sputtering and surging then you likely have a restriction or bad pump.

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,754 Posts

·
Mad (Sean) Max
9,602 Posts
Could also be a sticking metering valve. Replace the return line with clear for sure...best cheapest engine troubleshooting tool there is...but IF you don;t see any bubbles, add a pile of good fuel additive, low ash 2 Stroke oil, or Powerservice, or Howes, add a quart and then let it idle for 20 mins. After it's idled a while see if you can take it for a romp, hard throttle followed by letting off followed by hard throttle etc..The point is to get the metering valve moving, lubed, and get any built up gunk rubbed off and burned.

This is likely not a major problem

·
R.I.P. Sam
32,077 Posts
Could also be a sticking metering valve. Replace the return line with clear for sure...best cheapest engine troubleshooting tool there is...but IF you don;t see any bubbles, add a pile of good fuel additive, low ash 2 Stroke oil, or Powerservice, or Howes, add a quart and then let it idle for 20 mins. After it's idled a while see if you can take it for a romp, hard throttle followed by letting off followed by hard throttle etc..The point is to get the metering valve moving, lubed, and get any built up gunk rubbed off and burned.

This is likely not a major problem

I don't think its an air issue, it restarts too easy and idles good, but check anyway. I'm more in line with what Sean is suggesting here.

·
Mad (Sean) Max
9,602 Posts

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
First off, Welcome to Diesel place, the big show, we'll get you through almost anything except a visit from your in-laws, your on your own there...

Italian tune up time....:coolnana:

I would think it's a sticking metering valve. Add a 6-8 oz of white power service or zero ash 2 stoke oil and go do some spirited driving, on off the peddle with hard chops. No need to spin the tires from each stop, roll out easyish but but get on it, go have fun....

This will get all that lubey goodness through out the IP internals.

This is if there is no air in the return line, check that first, really dirty cheap diagnostic tool.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
THANKS EVERYONE for a LOT OF KNOWLEDGE in just a short amount of time!!!
just so you know ...
1. I do have the square box Filter set up so I will try the Bleeder at the top to see how much fuel i am getting out of it!
2. I just purchased this truck with the issues! SO I don't know much about the history of the truck.
3.when the truck idles the smoke is like a light gray ( I think it was? )

so my game plan is (After all the RAIN goes AWAY!! ) I'll try the truck with the clear tube (can I just leave the tube on it or does it need removing after we resolve the issue?)
Then I'll try the bleeder on top of my filter along with using the additives!

I was glad to hear that you all DO NOT Think that it's my Injector pump... I was getting worried and was looking to go buy one !!!

I am also hoping that I can get a video of the trucks issue's!!
again THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!!

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,754 Posts
so my game plan is (After all the RAIN goes AWAY!! ) I'll try the truck with the clear tube (can I just leave the tube on it or does it need removing after we resolve the issue?)
I leave the clear line on, 1/4" vinyl
Stuff is cheap enough to get some extra and if it looks suspect just put a new piece on.

Reactions: jdf915

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks EVERYONE & sorry that it took so long to get back on here , I've been super busy & it's been wet & cold !! LOL
Anyhow, I've added the Clear line & can't see any bubbles( air) in the line.

here is the video of the truck running hope it helps
See My 6.2 Video

as you can see in the vid, it idles GREAT and then when it does it cranks back GREAT!!

I am looking forward to getting the dump truck running .. I have work for it to do !! ha ha

also I am looking for a name for my truck ... any suggestions ? :) :thumb::thumb:

·
Registered
143 Posts
you did not put the clear hose on where you were told to. in your video you put it on the fuel line by your filter it needs to go on the top of the inj pump in your video where you put your hand to rev it up if you look on top of pump there is a green wire for your fast idle plunger there is a hose that comes out the top of pump that the green wire was laying on that hose is the one that you put the clear hose on it is only about 6 inches long that is where you look and see if air bubbles come out of pump. i have had where the fuel line from the filter to the back of the inj pump under intake sucked air.if no air bubbles come out of pump when you put hose on wright area then i would see about having your pump checked by a shop that rebuilds them. if there is air bubbles find where it is sucking air.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
Install it here....

IMG_20151209_123704413_1449683561055.jpg

Then look over post #12 or find an IP shop.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
:eek:mg::duh::duh::cussing::cussing: Can't believe I didn't even see the correct hose!! ha ha Anyway... I finally got the hose installed in the correct location :coolnana::coolnana: and still didn't see any air in fuel. I put some Howes additive in it and let it run for about 15-20 min on two or three different times. And still doing same thing! DO I need to get the White Power service? would driving it around be better then just letting it idle? Anything else I can check or do ?

·
respect the DB4 5722....
12,490 Posts
time to either do some reading on adjusting the governor shaft in the rear of the injection pump, or removing the IP and having it serviced, because, it sounds like the fuel was turned up through the top of the injection pump, and the governor shaft/rod was not re-adjusted properly....

·
respect the DB4 5722....
12,490 Posts
just watched the vid, and you are needing to have the injection pump looked at, for the amount of throttle you are giving it to the amount of RPM the engine is making on said amount of fuel is definitely skewed....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts