Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So while I have easy access I think I should replace the water pump. I have it tore down and was looking at replacements and noticed there are some that say reverse rotation I thought only marine application engines had reverse rotation. I was able to order a pump that had the original pump number listed as suitable replacement for and I can see that my pump is rotating with the motor so I believe I have the correct pump and gasket. But just wondering why there are so many options for reverse rotation.
Also what are the correct torque specs for the pump and the mounting plate. I ended up heating just the heads of all the bolts just a touch to get them to loosen up so they were tight. Never understood why they always put steel bolts into a aluminum housing never a good combo.
Also I need to replace my frost plugs or sand plugs or what ever you want to call them any tips or tricks two of mine are rusted out.

·
Registered
1982 Chevrolet Silverado K10 Diesel
274 Posts
Can't help Ya on the idea of the Reverse Rotation but i got mine on RockAuto & Fit perfectly. Gates, I believe good company. They usually Stand Behind their product in guaranteeing Fit! Unlike other companies! Cough But as for Torque Specs on the main forum page here > Info: - The 6.2L FAQ's... The Master List of... It has ALL Of the Manuals, Specs, Info you would need for that Engine... where it says "Click here" it should open up on your computer or Download. If you know how to use Adobe Acrobat or something similar to that It Opens PDF Files.

As for the freeze plugs my father would always Drill or tap a small hole in the middle of them and yank em out. You can get the complete kits on rockauto too i think. I didn't have to replace mine.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Glad to hear it thats the same pump I ordered. Thanks for the link I should of looked around before asking so many questions. Thanks

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Reverse rotation is commonly a serpentine thing on these engines. I know my 96+ serp setup is reverse rotation.

Reactions: Old and not working
1 - 4 of 4 Posts