Diesel Place banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if any 6.2 thermostat housings come with a 3/8 npt fitting for a sensor? If not do any 6.5 have it and will they fit 6.2? Thanks .

·
Registered
294 Posts
The 6.5 radiator housing is a daul stat system. There is a modification to make the 6.5 housing fit in a 6.2 but for your question why not just tap your housing and install your sensor. The mode requires a lot more machining and welding.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HowiE Thanks for the reply. I am not sure if the housing is white metal or aluminum. Either way it is very thin and i guess i would have to weld some kind of bung in. I wish i could tap into the cross piping but i need the sender on the rad side.

·
Registered
294 Posts
If you want a sensor on the radiator side of the thermostat consider cutting the hose and putting in a section of pipe that you can tap. All you will have to do is carry a ground wire from the pipe to the engine to complete your circuit.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HowieE Thanks again. I think that is the only other alternative. Two more chances for a leak tho. The thermo solution would have been so clean. It seems one mod always begets another LOL! I will get to work on it!

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
The 6.5s didn't have dual thermostats till late '96.

The '92 to early '96 should bolt right in.

·
Registered
17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
whatnot-are you saying that the 92-96 thermo housing has provision for a sensor?

Dieselboy thanks for posting pics but i need that fitting to be on the rad side of the thermo.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
They have one sensor in them near the passenger side head.

Doesn't the 6.2 housing have any sensors in it?

I can go out and take a picture of it to post if it will help.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mine doesnt have any provision for it. Right now the sensor is in the back of the right head and just doesnt work right. I guess i am gonna have to put it in the top rad hose.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Here is a picture of mine.

You might also be able to take the bleeder out and drill and tap it bigger.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
whatnot thanks for the pic.The area you got circled is the wrong side of the t-stat for me. However your t stat housing has a sensor in it. That whole setup is way different than mine. What engine is it and what is it out of?

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
It is my '95 chevy 6.5L.

The air bleeder is on the top side of the T-stat and I think it is 1/8" npt. If you want, I can measure the flat part and see if it is big enough to drill out and tape 3/8" npt.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is it a van or a p/u, turbo/non turbo? If you dont mind i would love to know if i can make that housing work. Thanks whatnot!

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
It is just a regular turbo pickup.

I don't know if 92 and 93 had the same one but 94 to early 96 should all be like it. You should probably be able to just get the top part if it will work.

I will measure it when I get a chance to see how big the hole could be made..

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
The flat spot is about 0.82" wide. I think that 3/8" pipe threads are about 0.6" so it would work but I don't know if that would be thick enough around it..

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks whatnot it might be doable and real clean. I will have to get the whole water manifold to make it work but i like it better than the alternatives. Something to work on.

I really appreciate your time and effort. Thank you.

Let you know how it goes in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
whatnot-that picture has caused me nothin but grief and aggravation for the last 6 days.

Went to the wrecking yard last friday and got the complete water manifold. Studied the probs on saturday,made a list of fittings and such on sunday. Went shopping on monday. EVERY fitting had to be changed. Pulled it apart monday night and put the 6.5 stuff on. problem was not enough room between water pump hose and bottom of t stat housing. Anyway road test on tuesday went ok but not happy with hose problem. Found a different fitting and took it all apart again tuesday night. Much better! Road test again wed. and got t stat housing drilled and tapped. Whew not much meat left but enough i think. the only problem now to complete job is that sensor you got circled. So far up here i can not locate the right pigtail so i have no cold start advance or fast idle. Ah well i will eventually find one.

Road test thursday with no apparent issues.

Bottom line-Sensor works as it should, Swap looks real clean and proffesional and the whole package works well.

Thanks again for your time. Much appreciated! Cheers!!!
Edited by: DSL JEEP

1 - 19 of 19 Posts