Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a year or so ago I replaced my old starter (was completely ground down, worn out and dead) with a new gear reduction one. Sometimes before and after the replacement, regardless of the battery charge, I'd turn the key, hear a click (not from the glow plugs) and that was it. I thought the new starter fixed that but within days/weeks of replacement, I had the same thing. Lately I've noticed it more often, though a few more keyturns engages the starter and it actually turns instead of just clicking. I don't think it's always just from low charge; it can be either during cold, hot or warm weather. The Haynes diesel manual mentions that this would be the solenoid or batteries. I would hate to think it would be the solenoid right after installing this new one. Any other ideas? Ignition switch, etc.? or am I just doomed to check all the wiring and connections on the starter and just get a new starter? or a can I just get a new solenoid? $30 for a solenoid is cheaper than $150+ for a new starter... especially a gear reduction one (I don't think I ever want to not use gear reduction). Thanks for any ideas.

Edited by: 85K1062

·
Registered
124 Posts
Sounds like the solenoid, or a bad connection. Go around and tighten your connections first. Don't forget the grounds.

If you don't think the connections are lose, drop the starter and put a solenoid on it. You got the right idea.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Sounds simple enough. I guess if I have to drop the starter, this time I'll actually pull the torque converter cover and check the clearance. I'll keep this updated as I find more information or don't run into more of the same problem (I doubt it! hah!). what the heel is a torque converter cover anyway? is it on all transmissions auto or not?

·
Registered
124 Posts
There is 4 bolts, takes a 10MM socket unless someonelost one.

The tranny cooler lines will be in the way a bit, but it will come out of there.

When you get it off, you can check the rear main seal, tranny front seal, check the teeth of course and check the flywheel for cracks, and make sure the torque convertor bolts are tight.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again, Traveler! I think after checking the connections (which is probably the real culprit though maybe not... could be the clearance wearing out the starter dynamo since I put on a starter for a newer model.), I'll resort to also finding the correct heat shield in addition to replacing the solenoid. Two parts for one labor. We'll see...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts