Diesel Place banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
If you use HD intake manifold gaskets with the blocking plates over the EGR ports, you won't have any exhaust flow to the EGR and you can delete it.

·
Registered
1982 Chevrolet Silverado K10 Diesel
282 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Btw i don't think that is an 81... The 81-82 front end was the same if you had the complete truck but the red block 6.2s like yours wasn't released by GM until 1982. Produced in 1981.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Makes since I was just going off numbers said 81 in casting numbers so assumed 81. Where there improvements on the red block or is it as simple as just paint color? Thanks also ill let you know if I take egr off but it's pretty ruff looking and hasn't been hooked up in years motor actually was in a fruit tree spray rig before I acquired it.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Makes since I was just going off numbers said 81 in casting numbers so assumed 81. Where there improvements on the red block or is it as simple as just paint color? Thanks also ill let you know if I take egr off but it's pretty ruff looking and hasn't been hooked up in years motor actually was in a fruit tree spray rig before I acquired it.
The red block was first-year. no improvements. The paint color was only that and lasted until EARLY-1983 Also, That was the ONLY year the engine had the Most Nickel in the block and Coarse Thread injectors. If it came from a 3/4 or 1-ton model it probably had the DB2829-4153 HD Pump which is actually quite good Otherwise a 4090YL LD. Other small things like the oil cooler lines from the Block side were only used 82-83? 3/8" I think. NPT Fittings vs Newer YR was more of a "Quick Disconnect", and the "Thread-in" Glow plug controller was used 1982-83 The 2ndary Fuel filter on the back of the Intake was the same. 1984-87 It was just Flush (Deleted).

These early engs were VERY Prone to Snaping the crankshaft, cyl heads cracking between Pre-chambers, injector lines cracking and the injectors doing the same and sometimes the brackets on the Power steering pumps would crack the eng wiring harness was basically the same up to 1987-88, 1989-93 Used ECMs on the engine to allow the OBS Style trucks to run. But the "Still" Made square bodies from 88-91 (K5, Burb, Crew cab) were still all mechanical. Supposably 2wd&4wd oil pans are different, and possibly Only driver-side exhaust manifold.

I'm sure I'm missing some things that's the most i can think of. Others can correct me on anything

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Nice lots of good info I like it. Hopefully it treats me well I will only be doing light towing and cruising around as long as I can at some point get this over revving issue figured out. Thamks again

·
Registered
282 Posts
Nice lots of good info I like it. Hopefully it treats me well I will only be doing light towing and cruising around as long as I can at some point get this over revving issue figured out. Thamks again
The 6.2 will tow just as much as a 454, if not a little bit more. a few of the guys on my 6.2 group on Facebook i have seen towing up to 15,000 lbs of round bales and the eng grunted a little bit but not much.

About your high revv issues. It's obviously not a vacuum leak bcuz diesels like these don't "create" vacuum. reason for the drive pump in the rear of the engine that goes down to the camshaft lobe & also runs the oil pump. It would have to be some sort of Solenoid possibly under the top of the Injection pump cover, or maybe your Injection pumps its self? Throttle shaft sticking? Gummy, etc.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Those were my engine choices to begin with I have a 454 with like 60k on it or I had this 6.2 available so decided to go with the 6.2 just has more appeal to me and makes my project a bit different than others. But now with my likely injector pump problems I should of went with the 454 but it will be worth it in the end. Thanks

·
Registered
282 Posts
It is not hard to pull the IP off the Engine. It could be something simpler than it. Btw correction if it's from a 3/4 to 1-ton truck and being a red block it could have either 4091 or 4153 Model pumps. 4091 was 1982 only, Superceded by 4153.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Will do but don't hold your breath I'm pretty sure I still have everything I've ever acquired from scrap to vehicles can't part with mutch of anything buildings are overflowing. Also I looked at the pump its the DB2829-4153
Thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Just incase anyone is interested I was able to get what ever was stuck in injector pump unstuck and I have it idling. No clue what was stuck but I filled fuel filter with seafoam and cranked tell it was coming out of injectors and then let it sit for a day and periodically tapped on the pump. Bled it out and fired it up this morning ran great. Thanks to everyone giving me some knowledge

·
Administrator
18,126 Posts
Just incase anyone is interested I was able to get what ever was stuck in injector pump unstuck and I have it idling. No clue what was stuck but I filled fuel filter with seafoam and cranked tell it was coming out of injectors and then let it sit for a day and periodically tapped on the pump. Bled it out and fired it up this morning ran great. Thanks to everyone giving me some knowledge
Glad you got the issue resolved.
Thanks for giving us an update!
(y)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Awesome to hear! Metering valve maybe? Something or another Anyway yahoo!

Reactions: Old and not working
21 - 35 of 35 Posts