Diesel Place banner

6.2 mechanical lift pump ticking?

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  legendman 
#1 ·
Any thoughts or advice much appreciated! Now i have fixed all my air leaks i think, i have fuel leaks, better out than in i guess! Getting a hold on that, but now i am hearing or have now just noticed the sound of my mechanical lift pump running, making a ticking sound i guess? Just wondering if this is normal? Or am i headed towards more fixing? Thank you in advance! Much appreciated!

#2 ·
Should post it on the 6.2 section. Most pumps on 6.5s are electrical.

I'd take a gander at no.... ticking sound is not good. But that's just an educated guess. I assume ticking sounds are bad until proven otherwise.

Bigboytoys in the 6.2 section should have a solid answer for you.

:thumb:

#3 ·
Thread relocated over to "6.2L"

:thumb:

#4 ·
Ya ticking usually isn’t a great sign ... I think you just replaced that pump, wonding if they sold you a SBC pump and arm is too short sooo the pump rod is floating back and forth ticking asay & barely working the LP at the same time

#5 · (Edited)
Wondering if it's a gasser 350 lift pump also like BBT said.
Back in the day the auto parts stores had the same part # for a pump that fit the gas v8s and the 6.2.
Happened to me, wasn't getting proper fuel delivery and found I had a gasser pump, side by side you could see the difference in the arm that the rod pushes against.

Also the tunnel in the block might be worn and making a ticking noise as it moves around in there.

Reactions: Bigboytoys
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.