Diesel Place banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there had experience fixing a left bank head gasket leak without doing an engine rebuild? What about the goop available that says it will fix the gasket?
Thanks,
John in Tucson

·
Registered
310 Posts
I'd suggest putting a nice, new gasket in place. It's not a full rebuild - it's a busy afternoon...

I'm not sure that goop stuff you are talking about would work too well in an engine with 21:1 compression anyway. Fix it right, or fix it over and over...

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I'd replace both gaskets, after checking the heads carefully for leakage and deck warping. Install the gaskets dry, no sealer and replace all the headbolts. Torque in three stages. Start at 25#, next, 50#, mark the head of each bolt with a spot of paint and turn each bolt an additional 90 degrees. Check the torque at with the wrench set at 105#, most will "click" at this setting.

Be accurate with the 90 degree turn. Go over them several times. I use Fel-Pro bolts and gaskets. The bolts come with the sealer already on the threads. GM bolts require PTFE sealer on the threads.

Reactions: englishjimmyfan

·
Registered
671 Posts
replacing the head gasket would be the best option.

i'm sad to say on my '82 i didn't feel like messing with pulling the head so i used steel seal. seems to be working. you need to drain the coolant, and it's a few step process, but if you want a short-cut it may be a good choice for you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I actually have a similar problem with mine. I bought a product called "Blue Devil" that is supposed to fix it at a molecular level. I am going to try it as soon as I get back in town after the holidays. It ain't cheap, about $60 at Autozone, but it comes with a money back guarantee. If it doesn't work, I will just get my money back.
As far as the process, all you have to do is take the thermostat out first, it supposedly works with or without antifreeze, then put the therm. back in after the job is done. I will enter a new thread after I am done and let everyone know about the success or lack there of.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
If the gasket combustion seal is leaking bad enough to cause bubbling in the radiator/recovery canister, it needs head gaskets and bolts. I doubt sealer will seal a combustion leak at 22:1 compression.

If it's a coolant leak somewhere, sealer is an option. I don't like it because it can cause other problems. I've seen radiators and heater cores plugged by too much sealer. When approaching leaks, be careful what you wish for.....

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Yeah, definitely DO NOT use any type of sealant product. They can cause all sorts of problems. It may work, but you are better off just doing it right and fixing the problem.

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
Interested to see what happens with the molecular level ones. My neighbour had a 1999 F250 with the 5.4L, head gasket gone enough to blow white smoke. A mobile guy came around, drained the antifreeze and flushed until pure water. Got it smoking hot, then added the stuff, started it and let it idle. Buddy was told to drive it for a week, then drain and add antifreeze. Its been 4-5 months and so far, no leaks. I don't know how or why it works but I am still skeptical.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
It's not that... It will stop the leak. The problem is that it tends to plug other stuff up too.

Where I used to work the wife of the guy I worked for had a minivan that had the same thing happen. I told the boss it wasn't a good idea, but whatever the boss says... A month later as I tore it down I saw the results...

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
It's not that... It will stop the leak. The problem is that it tends to plug other stuff up too.

Where I used to work the wife of the guy I worked for had a minivan that had the same thing happen. I told the boss it wasn't a good idea, but whatever the boss says... A month later as I tore it down I saw the results...

So what did you see?

Like I said, I am skeptical so any info is very valuable. Its good ammo for my customers that could say, $3000 for a head gasket? f*ck you, I can get it done for $250 with nothing removed.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Well, for one thing, the inside of the radiator was covered with that junk (it was a new radiator a few months before), and the thermostat was all coated with it... Looked nasty, and the van was chronically overheating... I didn't get in much deeper than that because the boss put me on another job (broke a spring on one of the gravel trains, ended up replacing half the suspension parts). One of our other guys finished the work on the van. I do know it ended up being pretty expensive... Not sure exactly what product that was (it's been a while), but I sure wouldn't use it. Not sure if they all work the same. Whatever that was basically coated the inside of everything. Nasty mess...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts