Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy there, old friends.

I have stepped over to Diesel Place for a change of pace, and to relax. If I have anything worth writing, it will probably be in this 6.2L forum, particularly on non-turbo, non-computerized trucks.

The Clevite Kid (a.k.a. Dr. Lee in other places)

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Howdy Doc,

Glad to see you made the trip, I'm doing dual posting as well hanging out in the 6.5 area.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Since you are here, I might as well ask since the problem is something to do with the mechanical fuel system. (I think)

I have a 93 GMC. When I bought it, it was a N/A 6.2

I put a Banks kit on it and melted a piston so I replaced it with a used 6.5 N/A. I haven't had much time to work on it since.

Anyway, the problem is no power.
It will start within 2 seconds of cranking (even at 40 degrees today and with only one battery) but then if I rev it up, sputters and puts out white puffs of smoke like it is missing above 1500 rpm. It has very little power (about the same as my 95 when it was in limp mode with a bad Ipump)

I drove it for about 5 miles so it was plenty warm and it made no difference at all.

What would you suggest checking/replacing first?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First, replace the fuel filter. Then check the air filter. Then check the timing on the fuel injection pump.

If all these check out, come back for more free advice (which is worth what you pay for it !!)

The Clevite Kid
Edited by: CleviteKid

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
The fuel filter is new,

I just cleaned the K&N not long ago (but will check it anyway),

I don't have a timing light that will work on a diesel so I will have to skip that for now. (I didn't move the pump either)

What about injectors? There are only had a few hundred miles on the ones in the old engine so I plan on swapping them when I get a chance.

I forgot to mention before that it does have power at real low rpm but goes away after 1500 to 2000 rpm.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Dr. Lee,

Welcome, its nice to see you here! We welcome your knowledge in the 6.2's!

Nick

·
Registered
58 Posts
Well Howdy Doc,

Been a while. This is my first post here.

Since I got you, I have a question and a bit of a story.

About two years ago, I was having serious issues with my 84 (I ended up having two problems...fuel lift sucking in air, and starter solenoid giving me complete electric failure. Both problems I fixed myself, after the mechanic I took it to failed to find the problems).

I ended up taking it to a mechanic to have all the fuel return lines (the little ones that go from injector to injector) replaced, as well as some other things.

Today, I happened to be outside the truck when it was idling, and I noticed a fuel leak...a bad one. Going underneath, the leak was coming from the EFE actuator (I think it is also called the EPR valve). This is that canister looking thing on the left side of the engine, in between the exhaust manifold and the exhaust pipe.

It turned out that those boneheads routed the #7 injectors fuel return line into that vacuum line leading to the EPR!!!! It just took this long for it to start leaking noticably.

Now the question...are both the #7 and #8 last return fuel lines supposed to be plugged? And what do these return lines really do?

Thanks, Doc...how's that new engine doin'? You still laying 30 foot peel marks?

SaintC

1 - 7 of 7 Posts