Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had trouble getting my 87 4x4 burb started after work today ,no prob when I parked it.Glow plugs cycled but it wouldn't fire tried manual button still just cranked but no start. Had to give a shot of either to fire,ran rough at first when I let it idle felt like the pump shut down felt it in the gas peddle refired again and started up warmed up and I drove home ran fine.Anything I can check so I don't get stranded. Fuel is clean and treated filter changed 2 weeks ago.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Hmmm. I would check the electrical connections at the IP first, because they are easy to get to. If those are good, I would then see if there are any air leaks. It is possible that there is an air leak in one of the lines causing the hard starting problem. If nothing, check to see that the lift pump is functioning correctly. It is possible that the fuel is draining back down to the tank due to a leaking valve in the fuel pump. Check fuel pressure and, if you can, put some sort of a one-way valve in the fuel line to the fuel filter.

If you still have found nothing, one of the experts is going to have to help you, because the next thing is the IP itself. I know nothing about those...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Plugged it in last night fired right up in a.m. ran fine to work. end of day started right up but it shut down after about 8 minutes of warm up time started right back up and ran fine would the cold start advance have anything to do with a prob like this?

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Sorry for the slow response. I've been kind of busy, and I'm having difficulty keeping up with the forum...

The cold advance solenoid shouldn't cause that.

Sounds like an air leak. Check all of the fuel lines and connections for obvious problems. Also check around the fuel filter block on the firewall. Make sure the air bleed valve is closed all the way. Check by the IP, the IP itself, and in the engine 'valley' under the intake manifold. Check the fuel pump for leaks.

If you still have found nothing, put some air pressure to the fuel tank, either through the filler door or through the return line. I personally prefer through the return line. It's the one on top of the IP in the front. Just pull it off and connect an air line to it. Run the pressure up to about 5 psi MAX. With the tank under pressure, look for fuel leaks. Check everything mentioned above.

If you still have found nothing, I would suspect the fuel pump. Really the only way to check it is to replace it.

I don't think there is anything in the IP that would cause your problem, but I could be wrong...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply,I'm sure this prob didn't fix itself but it hasn't given me grief in 3 days won't get a chance to test more til the weekend but I will check for fuel leaks thanks again. Also having trouble finding clear fuel line for the return on pump to check for air bubbles. Whats the correct size of that hose 1/4"?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts