Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all. I have a question. My 1984 6.2 glow plugs burned out on the right side only. I replaced them with four Autolite plugs and they burned out within a week. I just puuled two of them and they were swelled on the end. Cant seem to get the other two out. Think i will buy a glow plug removal tool. Anyway, any ideas on why they burned out prematurely?/All on one side?/The tips swelling? Thanks
.....Tom

·
Registered
168 Posts
Check your voltage on both sides. That is a 12 volt system running 6 volt plugs. How long does your light stay on? Might have a bad glow plug relay.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Voltage and resistance check in all wires is good. So your saying that i put 6 volt plugs in?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Okay, Gm used a "Fast Glow" system, that means they put in 6 volt plugs on a 12 volt system, they heat up fast, but over heat quickly.

DO you have the autolite number?

If the plugs are not the same on both sides of the engine that could be your problem, or even though you checked voltage that does not eliminate a bad wire, a poor connection to one bank will show 12 volts, but when you put a load on it, it will fall to nothing.

The cycle time on a cool morning should be about 9sec initial on, much longer and the plugs are toast.

Now would be a good time to put 60G's in, they are not suppose to burn up, but they will not start the truck as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I sent an e-mail reply which i hope you received. I am new to the forum. Where can i find the 60g plug? Also my relay works just like you said so it is good. Voltage is good even under a load. I am thinking a better glow plug would work if i could just locate some. I read one place in canada made some that are about 30 bucks a peice and will never burn out as well. Thanks so much again....Tom

·
Registered
124 Posts
I never posted my e-mail address in my profile so it didn't get to me anyway, somebody is probably going What??? is this.

What parts stores do you have near by? Napa, oreilly's are common here. If you tell them you want a AC60G glow plug they can cross it. THey run about $11 each. If they can't I will call and get the proper part number if you know what they sell, not sure if autolite offers that plug.

They are suppose to be internally fuesed to prevent burn up, one problem is they take longer to heat up, so the original 9 seconds may work on somedays when it really gets chilly, it will be tough starting. I added a 12 volt timer and legthen the time out to about 15 seconds In winter to get it to pop off properly.

I don't know all the sources for the timer, but I got it from Penninsular diesel, and it was about $34 They may have the plugs as well. I am not endorsing anybody that's just were I found them.

It only takes 2 bad glow plugs to stop the truck from starting. Sometimes 1 on a weaker engine. You got me to thinking, before I put in the 60g's I had a set of autolites in, they only lasted 6 months before I had trouble, and most of that was through the summer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just put some Delphi plugs in and am going to give them a try. The ac60g sounds familiar now that i think about it.But i dont know if that was the kind that i put in from Napa or not. Thanks for the info.....Tom

1 - 8 of 8 Posts