Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have designed a cheap and reliable glow plug timer for my 6.2. Should cost no more than 40 bucks..

Some background first.

My new to me 82 C10 has a manual glow plug button. It works fine. Turn the key on, hold the button down for 6 seconds or so, release, then start the truck. Works every time.

I can't stand it. I hate having to hold a button down every time I have to start the truck. Granted, it's a great anti-theft device, but when someone else needs to use the truck, I always have to teach them. If they forget, I end up with a phone call saying the truck wont start...

Going back to a stock style system isn't cost effective, and the original design isn't great anyway.

So... here's my plan.

I've ordered a Mini Timer Time Delay Relay off of amazon.

Looking at the manual, it is capable of supplying power for x number of seconds, using the configuration that they designate as Function 2.

Now. My existing glow plug button is only a ground switch. So, using a relay, I plan on using the positive output on the Timer relay, to switch a standard relay and close the ground loop. By utilizing the Ignition source at the fuse block for my switched power for the Timer relay, I will be able to cycle the glow plugs as needed in colder temps.

I plan on starting with a 8 second delay, as it will most likely work the best.

I've got it hooked up and it works great! I couldn't be happier on how it turned out. Turn the key to the on position, wait for the glow plug light to turn off, and start the truck.

I noticed that I made a mistake in my wiring diagram... on the relay, Pin 30 is grounded to the chassis, pin 87 goes to the stock glow plug relay on the drivers side fender.

I'll get some pictures and a video later on today.

Attachments

·
Let's take the Truck!
5,643 Posts
I also own 82. Looks good! I dont like holding the button either. Could you ground that fender solenoid right to the inner fender so you only have one circuit on a switch?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also own 82. Looks good! I dont like holding the button either. Could you ground that fender solenoid right to the inner fender so you only have one circuit on a switch?
Thanks JC! On my factory glow plug relay, if you ground it, the relay stays on when the key is in the ON position. You could probably ground the relay, and use the other terminal for a switched hot, but you will lose the glow plug light feature.

I thought about this system for quite a while before deciding to do it the way I did.

When I was all said and done with it, the timer relay was under the dash. One wire is hooked to the IGN fuse block, a ground the the ground block, and the hot out to the engine bay.

The Hot out from the timer relay is hooked to pin 86 on the other relay.

Pins 30 and 85 run to chassis ground.

Pin 87 to the glow plug relay screw terminal, closest to the firewall.

It's a really simple design, and configuring the timer relay was the hardest part of everything. That in itself took about 3 minutes!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Nice! Added to 6.2L DIY's
Thanks Freddy!

Here are a couple of install pics. The under dash pics aren't the greatest, but you can see just how small this timer relay is..

The link below shows me starting the truck after the install.

Attachments

·
R.I.P. Sam
32,078 Posts
Thanks JC! On my factory glow plug relay, if you ground it, the relay stays on when the key is in the ON position. You could probably ground the relay, and use the other terminal for a switched hot, but you will lose the glow plug light feature.

Nice thinking, but I don't understand this part. You should be able to trip the glow-plug relay with + or -, how ever you wish to wire it.
The light should go on when the plugs get power, when the solenoid is tripped, through the big lugged wires.
So do you need your relay? Wont the timer just trip the factory relay or is the trip load too big for it?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice thinking, but I don't understand this part. You should be able to trip the glow-plug relay with + or -, how ever you wish to wire it.
The light should go on when the plugs get power, when the solenoid is tripped, through the big lugged wires.
So do you need your relay? Wont the timer just trip the factory relay or is the trip load too big for it?
That was my original idea, and I originally had the glow plug relay wired with + going to the terminal nearest the front of the truck, while the terminal nearest the firewall was grounded, and had the glow plug light pigtail still attached (plug on top of the glow plug relay). Once I turned the key on, the glow plugs immediately came on, and stayed on until I turned the key off. I also noticed that the glow plug relay is mounted on rubber isolators, so I figured that GM did it this way as not to ground itself out. So, instead of messing around with trying to get the glow plug relay to accept a + charge to trip, I just decided to wire it with a ground break instead. I hope that clarifies why I did what I did.

Plenty of ways of skinning a cat... but this is just the way I did it. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Question for ya....if you don't start the truck after the first glow plug light iteration, will it automatically do another 8 second heat cycle or is it just once? I like the idea of not having a switch to initiate the cycle every time.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Each time you turn the key to the on position, it will give you one cycle of glow plugs. To cycle them again, you turn the key off, and back on again.

·
Registered
53 Posts
This sounds like a great idea.
Am still trying to get my head round manual glows for 82 - 84 (Haynes,/Chilton unkindly left this system out their books).
Will get back to this if i ever find it again!!!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Question?

I bought this timer. I'm not sure how to set up the timing with the timer relay. I have everything else ready to be wired up. I have my relay under the hood ready and hooked up to my ford starter solenoid.

is there a way to run the plugs for 10 or 15 seconds?

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
Wierd, the instructions don't link to the video anymore.

Anyway, have you seen this?:

It walks you through programming the timer. You don't need the buttons, just short the wires.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Starkey82: Clever - but what about when it gets cold. 8 seconds isn't enough.

Oh - you're in Texas. Doesn't apply to you. *grin*

However, it also will use up the glow plugs early as I don't need any glow when the engine is hot. And when it's cold - or really cold, not having a temperature input on the timing cycle will be a problem.

Personally, I really like the manual button. For a friend with a 94 6.5, I modified the original relay to allow the manual button to _extend_ the time. The stock relay/timer/temp-sensor does it's thing, but hold the button down and he can have a long, long glow cycle for those cold, cold days.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
I have mine set up so the manual button overrides the delay so if the 8 seconds isn't enough I can hold it as long as I want.

As for the timer burning up the glows early, I don't see myself starting this thing enough that ever be a problem.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts