Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before anyone says it, I've searched and read for a few weeks now and for the moment, have a few somewhat specific questions.

I know sometimes people talk about the vbelt vs serpentine belt setup and say stay away from the vbelts. Are those engines inferior in some way or just difficult to swap over?

My plan is to swap all the bits from a 94 6.5td (motor is wore out) onto a lower mile engine and I ran across an early 80's one with 38k for like $500.

I decided it would be cheaper to find/but a low miles engine than rebuild a 300+k mile 6.5.

I'm not looking for massive power either, or do a lot of heavy towing.

I'm also planning on hooking this engine up to a low miles nv3500 that I pulled from an 02 silverado.

And then lastly, (this is wear I might lose everyone) swap that combo into a gmt800 tahoe I have that needs engine work also.

I've done enough research to know I can make the Tahoe work with a diesel engine, I just might have some diesel specific questions later.

My concerns are I know the 6.2 is not the greatest engine, but it would be by far the most straight forward for my purposes, and least expensive.

I looked at 4bt swaps, and om606 swaps as well and either of those could be pulled off but would be entirely too much extra money.

Thanks

·
Administrator
18,471 Posts
Welcome to DieselPlace
(y)

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,809 Posts
My main concern with any 6.2 or 6.5 is cracks in the block.
You may find the low mile one is cracked and the wore out 6.5 isn't.
What is the casting number on the 6.5 engine?

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
As Legend said, low miles can be cracked to hell. I had a 56k mile block from a blazer that was the most cracked I've ever seen. My crazy mile stuff? No cracks. The upside to the low mile thing though is bore taper. The high mile stuff gets really bad bore taper that is on the edge of machinable.

I don't see a problem running an nv3500 behind it as long as you are gentle to it. They came behind 4.3 and 4.8's which dont make the same amount of torque, let alone at the lower RPM.

Problem you might have with running it in a GMT800 is unless you have an early one your gauges wont work. The early trucks had gauges with senders, the later ones ran off the ECM. The speedo I think runs off the computer as well. I think.

Honestly if it was me I would stuff another LS into the Tahoe. You can get one from a Pick n Pull for like $250, it bolts in, makes decent power, and gets decent mileage. Mind you not 6.2 mileage, but decent. I figure a 6.2 in that will see 25ish, LS 18ish. You're also talking about a weekend swap that way, not a drawn out swap. BUT, I love the creativity and totally dig it if you do it!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts